10 Motivating Reasons To Go To The Gym

10 Motivating Reasons To Go To The Gym

Any sort of exercise, even just long walks to class, can make a difference.

112
10 Motivating Reasons To Go To The Gym

The gym, you either love it or hate it. Some people can't function without going once a day while others would rather drink castor oil than even consider stepping foot in one. Everyone has their own reasons to work out/not work out, but any sort of exercise, even just long walks to class, can make a difference.

Particularly in college, it can be so hard to balance grades, a social life, sleep, and physical fitness. Some people just don't have an hour/hour and a half to spare at the gym, as there are other commitments that certainly take priority.

Personally, I find working out to have more of a mental benefit than a physical one. Having been a regular gym-goer for the past three years, I have found many reasons to enjoy these visits. Here are 10 motivating reasons to start going to the gym:

1. It gets you on a regular schedule

When you plan to get up early and fit in roughly an hour to work out, you will find that you naturally will start making a daily schedule for yourself. Getting up at, say, 6am five days a week to work out allows for more time during the day that you can get all your obligations fulfilled.

Also, due to the release of endorphins (the feel-good hormone) which exercise brings, you will focus better on completing your daily tasks as well.

2. You will feel stronger, both mentally and physically

Whether you have a specific physical goal in mind or just want to improve your health, going to the gym regularly will definitely improve your physical well-being. It will also improve your mental well-being, too.

Endorphins are released by the brain as you work out, which are the body's natural "pain relievers" that can make you feel good through and through. Not only will your body feel better, but your mind will, too! You may even find that you can focus more efficiently on your daily tasks.

3. You will be healthier

Starting a regular gym routine will help you get on the path to a healthier lifestyle. You will want to eat better as you learn just how hard it is to burn calories, and you will want all your hard work and sweat (literally) to pay off. It's said that people who exercise for at least for 30 minutes a day have a better probability of living longer, too.

4. It's an excellent stress reliever

I can't begin to tell you just how many times I would go to the gym during moments where I'd be in a low emotional place. No matter what the issue, getting up and pushing myself to get a work out indefinitely helped me clear my mind and get through whatever difficulties were present at that time.

Exercise is something that I have always been in complete control of, and it's comforting knowing that no matter what goes on in my life, at least I can have complete control over my fitness.

5. You will sleep better

Due to this extra amount of physical exertion, your body will naturally want to rest more than usual. You will find that it's easier to fall asleep at night, and this will definitely be of help to those who may have a difficult time with this.

I remember how it used to take me hours to get to sleep, but once I started working out, I found that I could fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Sleep=energy. The more quality sleep you have, the more alert and energized you'll be the next day.

6. The hard work will pay off

If you are working out to achieve some physical goal, you WILL eventually achieve it! You just need to keep the "I can" mindset and ask for help from gym staff/trainers if you need it. There is no better feeling than meeting your physical goals.

I thought I would never achieve mine, but after many years I can proudly say I have, and you will too! It just takes patience and dedication. Even if you slip up some days you can always try again tomorrow. Having a goal in mind and going for it may not be easy, but it is definitely worth it!

7. You will feel accomplished

It's not easy getting up early or carving out large amounts of time to dedicate to exercise. However, once you actually do it and make it a routine, you will be so proud. No one ever regrets a work out.

Making these goals for yourself and sticking to them will bring about feelings of such accomplishment, and may even inspire you to pursue other goals you may have been hesitant of trying. Look at it this way, if you can achieve this physical goal, imagine what other goals you can achieve?

8. There are various classes you can take part in

Many gyms/fitness centers offer group classes that range from anything from Zumba to water aerobics. Sometimes they can even be free! Trying new things, especially fitness related, can spark new interests and help you figure out what you enjoy and don't enjoy.

Also, you have the opportunity to speak to these teachers who are likely fitness experts themselves. They would be glad to offer advice and maybe even work with you one-on-one with whatever you need help with!

9. You can receive beneficial advice

Struggling with your form? Wondering how much cardio is too much/not enough? Just ask! Don't hesitate to reach out to other gym-goers or staff for advice. Many times, I have found that people are more than happy to help you if you reach out.

The gym may be one of the few places where everyone is working towards similar goals at the same time. Because of this, many will be eager to offer work out tips/advice to their fellow gym-goers.

10. It can simply be fun!

Many people see working out as a tedious task, but they forget that it can be fun, too! Why struggle every time to complete your work out? Look up exercises that seem enjoyable and doable. Don't make it a chore. When you find a routine that works for you, you'll start to look forward to your gym visits rather than dread them.

Also, when you enjoy working out, you will naturally do better and make more progress than if you were doing a boring, mundane exercise routine.

So, with that said, lace up your sneakers, eat a protein bar, and move!