Bushy Eyebrows And 9 Other Makeup Mistakes We All Made In High School

I have no problem calling out 2012-2016 me. I have no idea who she was.
292

Makeup is truly an art form. Your face is the canvas, and your makeup brushes coated with foundation and eyeshadows is essentially your paint brush.

And I’ll never clock a girl (or guy) for wearing makeup and expressing themselves — regardless if I like the look they created or not.

But we’re not talking about everyone else — we’re talking about the makeup mistakes I, unfortunately, made back in high school. I have no problem calling out 2012-2016 me. I have no idea who she was.

1. THICK, BUSHY EYEBROWS

I’m starting off strong here — like how I use to do my awful eyebrows. That being said, I like to think I’ve gotten significantly better at doing them. They’ll never be perfect, and I’ll probably never be completely satisfied with them, but I’ve come to the sad conclusion that they’re sisters and not twins.

2. Choosing the wrong foundation shade

I use to think I’m lighter than I actually am. It never once crossed my pubescent mind that I was actually fairly tan. Not like, Shay Mitchell tan, but not Casper the Friendly Ghost pale either.

It took me much longer than I’d like to admit to pick the right foundation shade for my skin tone. To this day, I still don’t know if I picked the right shades. I just wing it… like my eyeliner.

3. THICK eyeliner on the top and bottom of my eyelids

I almost forgot about this one. It was middle school. It was dark times for little twelve or thirteen year-old-me — which also is coincidentally how I did my eyeliner. Too dark and too thick. You could spot those suckers a mile away.

4. Applying too much glue on my eyelashes, not waiting for them to get tacky before sticking them onto my eyelashes, and essentially gluing my eyelids shut

OK, so it’s never that extreme, but you get the point.

5. Not removing the glue from my false eyelashes before re-gluing them back onto my eyelids (EW)

Don’t say it. I know, I’m disgusting and shouldn’t be allowed near makeup. But can you blame me? I was young and naive. Plus, I was born with short, spider lashes — if you can even call those things that.

6. Not applying mascara to blend my real and fake eyelashes together

This is actually a crucial step in my eye makeup routine that I tend to forget and neglect. There’s nothing worse than turning to the side and seeing my short, spider lashes sticking straight out from my false, beautiful lashes.

7. Not applying moisturizer on my dry face

I have extremely dry skin, and I’ve definitely noticed quite a difference in the way my foundation sits on my face when I don’t apply moisturizer on it. It’s worse than applying too much foundation on. The cake is real, y’all.

8. Wearing the wrong lipstick shade

Some lip colors, admittedly, are more flattering on my skin tone than others. To this day, it’s still hard to find what shade works best. I like to play it safe, though. Dark reds, dark pinks, and dark nudes all the way!

9. Not blending my foundation down to my neck

I never saw the point… until I really looked at myself in the mirror.

10. Contouring

Just flat out contouring. I suck at it, but I still try my best.

Like I said, makeup is an art form. There’s no right or wrong way of doing it. If you think it looks good on you, then that’s all that matters.

And to all of you struggling middle and high schoolers just now discovering the wonders of makeup… practice makes perfect. Don’t forget that while you’re applying your blue eyeshadow with a makeup sponge and using concealer as foundation.

Oh, and watch beauty gurus on YouTube for help and inspiration.