10 Lessons I Learned From "Gilmore Girls"

Life lessons from Lorelai and Rory.

53
TV Series Finale

" Gilmore Girls" has taught viewers a lot over the years. We have watched Rory grow from a young high schooler to a smart and mature journalist with the help of her mother, Lorelai, her grandparents and pretty much the entire population of Stars Hollow. These people, through their actions and words, have taught Rory throughout her life, and I am here to pass some of them along to you!

(Caution: Spoilers ahead!)

1. Family is everything.

From Lorelai raising Rory and being her biggest fan to the unwavering support of Richard and Emily Gilmore, we realize that family is important. They believe in you and love you no matter what. At times, you may disagree, but your family will always have your back. You would do anything for each other.

2. It takes a village to raise a child.

Everyone in the small town of Stars Hollow has helped Lorelai raise Rory from a young age. They even helped Lorelai grow up, and this town has become their family. From Luke to Babette, from Ms. Patty to Taylor Doose, and maybe even Kirk, everyone has lent a hand to making Rory and Lorelai the strong women they are.

3. Friends are important.

Throughout her teenage years, Lane and Paris have had Rory's back. They have seen her at her best and at her worst. They were there for her when she broke up with boyfriends and dropped out of school, and also when she was doing great with everything. No matter what was happening, they were always there when she needed them. And she did the same for both of them. Sooki has been there in the same way for Lorelei. She practically helped raise Rory. She was always there when Lorelei needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to celebrate with. So make good friends who will stay by you during your ups and downs, and do the same for them.

4. Your mom is your best friend.

Lorelei and Rory's relationship is the relationship that every mother and daughter aspire to have. They are more like friends than they are like mother and daughter. For a short time, they were all each other had. They tell each other anything and everything. They hold very little back. They trust each other and know that no matter what goes on, they will always be there for each other. Girlfriends are great, but there is no greater friend than your mother.

5. Follow your heart.

Another important lesson "Gilmore Girls" has taught us is to follow your heart. Do what makes you happy. Rory realized she wanted to put her career first and not her relationship, and she turned down Logan's proposal. She loved him but realized that her dreams were bigger than just having a husband. My favorite relationship on the show is Luke and Lorelai's.

From the beginning of the series, everyone feels the chemistry that they share with each other and waits in anticipation for them to realize it as well. But their relationship isn't easy. It has its ups and downs. At one point they break up, and we all felt devastated. Fortunately by the end of the series, they realize their love is greater than any of their doubts. They followed their hearts, and we should too.

6. Have a sense of humor.

Having a sense of humor makes life more enjoyable. Every character on this series shows us that. Between Rory and Lorelai's banter, Sooki's mishaps, Kirk's many occupations, and Emily's wit, one can't help but laugh. They take what life throws at them and try to have fun along the way.

7. Never quit. Chase your dreams.

From the beginning of the series, Rory aspires to go to Harvard and become a journalist. Even though it was difficult at times, she never loses sight of this goal. She works hard and achieves everything that she wants. Lorelai raised Rory by working at the Independence Inn. She worked her way from maid to manager, and then went on to open the Dragonfly Inn. She worked until she achieved the life she dreamed of. With enough determination, anything is possible.

8. A good education is important.

Rory shows us that a good education is important. Study hard, get good grades, and you will succeed. She studied all the time in a high school with a rigorous curriculum and look where it got her. She was accepted to Harvard, Princeton and Yale without a problem. She used the opportunities she was given to create something great of herself.

9. Coffee is necessary in life.

If there is one lesson that "Gilmore Girls" teaches us, it is that coffee gives us life. We must have it everyday and all the time. There is just no way to function without it!

10. Love yourself.

"Gilmore Girls" teaches us to be ourselves and to love who we are. Rory and Lorelai never apologize for who they are. They have people in their lives who love them. They are strong and independent. They show us that we can get through anything life throws our way.