10 Holiday Attractions In And Around Pittsburgh

These holiday attractions will put you in a cheerful spirit.

270
WTAE

With Christmas and the New Year quickly approaching, here are the 10 best holiday attractions near Pittsburgh, PA that will help you get into the spirit!

1. Kennywood Holiday Lights (West Mifflin, PA)

Two million dazzling lights transform Kennywood Amusement Park into a beautiful winter wonderland. Choreographed to holiday melodies, a light show is performed on the lagoon. To make the visit even better, guests of all ages can visit Santa, ride the Gingerbread Express, decorate cookies and so much more! Click here to plan your visit!

2. Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (Pittsburgh, PA)

Snow Day at Phipps is this year’s theme for the holiday at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The exhibit rooms are transformed into beautiful holiday displays that feature, “topiary penguins, bears and reindeer frolicking in showcases of artful LED lights, decorated fir trees, whimsical props, colorful poinsettias, aromatic paperwhites, showy amaryllis and more." Go to Phipps Conservatory to learn more.

3. Overly's Country Christmas® (Greensburg, PA)

The walk around Christmas Village allows guests to taste and see old-fashioned treats. A bonfire, horse-drawn sleigh/wagon ride, a model train display and a visit with Santa make Overly’s Country Christmas® a number one attraction during the holiday season. Click here to learn more.

4. Lakemont Park and the Island Waterpark – Holiday Lights on the Lake (Altoona, PA)

Fifty-one acres of dazzling displays of lights and animations light up the historic Lakemont Park, in Altoona, PA. Tuning into Lakemont Park’s radio network (88.5 FM), guests are able to drive through the park to see the extraordinary holiday displays as they hear holiday music broadcast live. Go to Lakemont Park to learn more!

5. Clayton Holiday Tour (A Family Christmas) – The Frick (Pittsburgh, PA)

If you have visited the Clayton house before, you know that it is already a beautiful piece of architecture, but when it is decorated for the holidays it is even more breathtaking. Old photographs and decorations help guests experience the Frick’s holiday celebrations from many years ago. This year, the house displays are focused on Victorian toys and the gift-giving traditions of Christmases past. Visit the Frick website by clicking here.

6. Ice Skating at PPG Place (Pittsburgh, PA)

Taking over Market Square, a large ice rink is installed at the PPG Place. Guests are able to rent ice skates and then enjoy ice skating around a beautiful decorated Christmas tree. Visit the PPG website to learn more by clicking here.

7. Bethlehem and Christkindlmarkt – Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem, PA)

Dating back to medieval Germany, the town of Bethlehem holds a traditional holiday shopping experience. Unlike many other holiday attractions, Bethlehem holds Christkindlmarkt, a shopping experience in open-air markets. One hundred and twenty-five artisans are set up in heated tents with their products for customers to purchase. Handmade pottery, gorgeous jewelry, delicious food, live holiday music and visits with Saint Nicholas make this traditional attraction one of a kind. To find out more about this Christmas City, click here.

8. Santa Train – Oil Creek and Titusville Railroad (Titusville, PA)

Although it is close to two hours away from Pittsburgh, the experience of the Santa Train on the Titusville Railroad is worth the drive. Traveling through Oil Creek State Park, guests are able to visit with Santa, Mrs. Claus, and their helpers. Complimentary hot chocolate and homemade cookies are given out during the trip through the snow-covered valleys. To learn more about this holiday attraction, visit the Oil Creek and Titusville Railroad website.

9. Shadrack's Christmas Wonderland Light Show Drive-Thru (Pittsburgh (Butler Co.), PA)

Located at the Big Butler Fair Grounds, the Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland Light Show Drive-Thru presents bright Christmas lights and joyful music, accompanied by custom-built animated elements. All ages will enjoy this holiday attraction. Visit the Shadrack's Chrismas website to learn more.

10. Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium (Pittsburgh, PA)

Take a visit to the local zoo to see your favorite animals and to celebrate the holiday. From November to February, the zoo holds Penguin Parades, Breakfast, and Lunch with Santa and Noon Year’s Eve to ring in the holiday season and the new year. To check dates and times of these events, visit the zoo's website.

1.