10 Highlights from the Republican National Convention

Rickrolling, plagiarism, Lucifer, and, strangely, "Feel the Bern".

5
IBABUZZ

Oh, my eyes! Oh, my ears!

This is my first time living through an American election in America, and with great curiosity I tuned in to the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, Ohio, expecting some gems from a party that has just nominated a racist failed businessman as its candidate for presidency. Sure, I was expecting endorsements of Trump and his business ventures, his "audacity to speak", his boldness, as well as our side dish of Hillary-bashing, referring to, of course, her emails and subsequent investigations, and Benghazi.

This sort of bashing and boasting happens with every political party, and the GOP should really not be considered as an exception. What I did not expect, however, was the riots, the plagiarism, the chants of "lock her up," the token minority speakers, the accusation that Obama is a Muslim (he is not), the threats to kick "illegal immigrants out," the "all lives matter," and...Hillary worships Lucifer?

A yuuuuuuge party game for horrible people like you and me.

Without further ado, let me present to you my favorite ridiculous, hilarious, terrifying, bizarre moments of this year's Republican National Convention -

1. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa): White people have been biggest contributors to civilization.

In an interview with MSNBC, Rep. King stated that he believes that white people have been the biggest contributors to civilization: "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?" King said to host Chris Hayes. Funny that he was oblivious to the fact that numerals were invented by Arabs and that the gunpowder in guns that Republicans are so fond of – that was invented by the Chinese.

2. Rudy Giuliani: There’s just America.

Later on the convention stage, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani made controversial statements on police brutality and race in America, stating, "When [police officers] come to save your life, they don't ask if you're black or white. They just come to save you." He went on to exclaim that there's no "black" or "white" America, "there is just America."'

3. Ted Cruz: Vote your conscience.

Ted Cruz, Trump’s biggest contender for the GOP presidential candidate nomination, told a crowd of thousands to “vote your conscience” – that is, not vote for Trump. His speech was met with boos and jeers from the audience – although, four years later, no-one can be sure if this will work for or against his political career.

4. Ben Carson: Hillary admires Lucifer

Former presidential candidate Ben Carson bombarded the audience with a speech many saw as bizarre and incoherent; in the speech, Carson implied that Clinton admires, or at least “acknowledges”, Lucifer. "This is a nation where every coin in our pocket and every bill and our wallets has 'In God We Trust,'" said Carson. "So, are we willing to elect someone as president who has, as their role model, somebody who acknowledges Lucifer? Think about that."

5. Laura Ingraham: unfortunate mid-air Hitler salute

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham appeared to, for a moment, salute Hitler. Several liberal media sites have since exploded – although this attests more to the questionable journalistic practices of certain media outlets, rather than Ingraham herself.

6. Paul Manafort: Women are struggling financially because their husband can’t afford bills.

The RNC's big finale brought with it sexist comments from Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, who told MSNBC he believes women are struggling financially not because of the gender pay gap, but because their husbands can't afford to pay their bills.

When news anchor Chris Matthews pressed him further, Manfort dodged the question, adding, "Because they can't afford their lives anymore. That's the point. To some people, it's a matter of jobs."

7. Donald Trump: Feel the Bern

Trump was ruthless to Clinton, not surprisingly, but gave a shout-out to Senator Bernie Sanders, claiming that the Democratic candidate had to face a system that was “rigged against” him; he then invites Sanders supporters and other Democrats to join the Trump “movement.”

8. Reince Preibus: Clinton has perfected the art of politics for personal gain

Reince Preibus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, attacked Mrs. Clinton for a lack of personal and professional ethics. “Perhaps worst of all, Hillary Clinton has perfected the art of politics for personal gain. She reads ethics rules as carefully as Americans read their junk mail.” He goes on to accuse Mrs. Clinton of using her position as secretary of state to “grease the wheels for Democrat lobbyists, special interests and political insiders connected to the corrupt Clinton machine.” For him, “help is coming” from Donald Trump.

9. Antonio Sabàto Jr.: Obama is a Muslim

Actor Antonio Sabàto Jr. “absolutely” believes President Barack Obama is a Muslim, he said Monday after addressing the Republican National Convention, accusing Obama of being “on the other side.”

Sabàto told ABC News he “actually liked this guy” but didn’t vote for him in 2008 or 2012. He then questioned President Obama’s religion - “First of all, I don’t believe that the guy is a Christian,” Sabàto said. “I don’t believe he follows the God that I love and the Jesus that I love.”

“If you follow his story, if you read his book, if you understand about Obama — I mean, that’s not a Christian name, is it?” he continued, “I believe that he’s on the other side — the Middle East. He’s with the bad guys,” Sabàto said. “He’s with them. He’s not with us. He’s not with this country.”

10. Melania Trump: Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down

Ms. Trump broke the internet, first with her “rickroll” lines, and then, when it became apparent that her speech was ripped almost word-for-word from Michelle Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention.

God help us all.