10 Things Every High School Graduate Should Do Before College

It's not all bad, I promise.

156
Penn Foster

Spring is upon us, and we all know what that means: a new class is about to enter into the world of higher education and the workforce. Graduation commences in May, thus bringing about hundreds of thousands of young adults into the world. There are lots of things going on in a high school senior's life: what to do after high school, the college admissions process, how we'll keep in touch with friends now that we won't be forced to see them five days a week by law. It's easy to forget the great things that are happening now, so here's a handy list of things.

1. Appreciate your friends and family now.

This sounds a little bittersweet, and I suppose it is. As the next stage of life approaches, it's not easy to forget that you won't see most of your closest friends and family much, or even at all. But this doesn't have to have a negative connotation. Spend time with your loved ones as much as possible. Don't think about your life in a few months in regards to them; just enjoy their presence. Go out to dinner. Go shopping. Visit your cousins in town that you only see every few weeks. See a movie with your parents. You're about to head off to another part of life, likely another town or state or even country. Love them now before it may become difficult or impossible.

2. Take some time for yourself.

Don't think of this as a contradiction to #1, because the two can coexist. Spend time with you. College will likely take away most of your time to relax. Go to the spa, read a book, take naps. These wonderful little things in life might go away once college starts. Your time and money will be limited, so love yourself before the stress sets in.

3. Make the most of your hometown.

If you're moving out of town for college, you probably won't have a huge window of time to visit home much. Of course there are breaks that you will be able to take advantage of, but don't pretend you won't miss your home while you're still suffering in college. Go to the places you love most in town. You will miss that amazing 24-hour donut shop by your high school once you enter university, so grab some freakin' donuts and enjoy what you're leaving behind.

4. Make friends who are going to your school before you even begin.

Having a pre-made friend group won't solve all of your social problems (especially if you're going to a massive school), but it definitely will help the transition from high school to college. Join groups on Facebook and group chats on GroupMe. Attend events both organized by the school and future students. There will probably be unofficial Buffalo Wild Wings dinners every Thursday for students in town or something similar. Take advantage of these opportunities. You will be much more comfortable entering college in the fall, and you will hopefully have friends before you attend orientation.

5. Attend every event possible.

You might know every last thing there is to know about your future university, but really, you don't. If you're going to a larger college with tens of thousands of students, there is always something new to learn. College-sponsored events and information sessions are amazing and will always give you new knowledge! Additionally, familiarizing yourself with campus will be so beneficial come fall. The more events on campus that you are able to attend, the better. Every information session I've attended has led me to know more and more about my own hopeful future college experience. You will most likely find programs, clubs, and other activities you didn't know about that you will want to take part in in college.

6. Visit the surrounding area of your college.

You won't be spending every second in classrooms or in your dorm; you'll probably want to take advantage of the nightlife around your campus. It's just as important to get to know the restaurants, stores, and buses as it is to know your college campus. You need a social life in college, so make sure you have some places in mind that you can go if you need a different study spot, a night out with friends, or a place to get away from it all.

7. Talk to potential roommates.

You may not find a roommate before housing contracts come out, and that's okay. Choosing to go random isn't necessarily a bad thing, but don't automatically assume you won't be able to find someone. You could find your best friend even before college! Again, join group chats and Facebook groups, post about yourself, and let fate decide the rest. You may have to approach some people to test the waters, but you basically have to sell yourself to find a great roommate. While there's nothing wrong with letting the university decide your roommate, only you know truly who you are and what you want in a roommate. I've met several girls who are just like me in every way: interests, preferences, and cleanliness, but they don't click with me, and while I'm not sure why, it's okay to say Never mind! We aren't compatible. Chances are, they feel the same way.

8. Travel with friends.

*if financially possible, but this doesn't always have to be costly. Travel to your grandparents' house four hours away. Find an Airbnb in a small town in another state. Just about every high school graduating this year I've spoken to recommends traveling with friends as a last goodbye. Sure, grad parties will happen and your friends will stop by and say their farewells, but that's not personal enough for your lifelong best friend (shout out to Jenna). Traveling may not be possible in college as well unless you study abroad, so make the most of your freedom--and your friends-- while you have it.

9. Remember the serious stuff, too.

College can and probably will be lot of fun, but it's not one giant vacation. Remember to do your scholarship applications, apply for loans, fill out forms, figure out your degree requirements, and get everything in by their respective deadlines. You can only go to college if you have the means necessary, and I can promise you, these will not be fun. However, they are, like I said, necessary, so don't overlook the important things while you're focusing on the thrilling things.

10. Be excited.

College doesn't have to be scary either. Yes, do your serious stuff, but enjoy the process! You chose your home for the next four years, so pick out your dorm decorations, buy spirit wear, and brag about your acceptance. You deserve it. You've accomplished so much through high school. Take this time between graduation and move-in day to excite yourself about your next few years.

College will be scary, but it will be rewarding. Congratulations on graduating within the next few months, and remember, everything will work out in the end.