The Family Members You Might Run Into This Fourth Of July

A presentation of the crazy family members that may plague your life but of course, you gotta love 'em.

6

Fourth of July: a historical, celebratory day we commemorate as the beginning of freedom’s ring across the country. A day full of family, friends, and barbeque with laughter and the smell of steaks covering the country…I can say that I am so incredibly blessed with the uncontrollable privilege of sharing a birthday with America and might be slightly biased in saying that it is one of the top two holidays. However, in all seriousness (but not really), this is a wonderful day for family and friends to get together for a delightful time off work and an opportunity for some people to eat enough to make it to the next summer. The memories made with those we are surrounded by on this day are plentiful and cherished, but they couldn’t be made without those special people who always create the entertainment. So, with all introductions aside and continuation of the jokes, I present to you the 10 types of crazy family members you may have ran into during your Fourth of July festivities and if not, well, you might be lucky in some of these cases.

1. The Boisterous Aunt

Boy, do we sure love talkative Tammy, but we can never seem to catch a break with her. Her voice rings for miles and the words “calm down” don’t exist in her comprehensive vocabulary, but hey, at least there is never an awkward silence.

2. The Perpetually Drunk Uncle

Beer Belly Bob didn’t earn his name for nothing. This uncle always seems to have a drink in his hand and the stuff he says may be incoherent, but you have to admit that his presence is entertainment for all. His alcohol-induced lack-of-filter may cause some problems, but he can also be a great person to have a heart-to-heart with.

3. The Firework Guy

This family member, whoever it may be, always provides the fireworks and is the most eager for nightfall so he can start his own light show. His excitement and love for Fourth of July is needed to keep the sparks alive for this holiday, but his consistency in setting the neighborhood on fire could be done without.

4. The Political Mastermind(s)

This can be a singular person or a group of family members depending on your household. There always seems to be a group chatting away in the corner or, should I say, gradually beginning to stir up a heated debate. We all know the domino effect. Once one side gets kicked into gear, one-by-one people start chiming in and before you know it, it is a never-ending whirlwind of positions, opinions, and controversial debates. Even if people try to stay out of the conversation, they always find themselves being reeled in. Feels almost like World War III is brewing right in your backyard – just be careful of the know-it-all.

5. The Silent-But-Hungry

You know that these guys just came for the food because their only social interaction is with whatever's on their plate. While people are chatting amongst themselves, catching up on the latest episode of The Bachelorette, these relatives have isolated themselves with a bottomless plate of food.

6. The Wild Child

There is always that niece or nephew that comes who has had too much air because they seem to be hyped up on absolutely nothing. As soon as they walk in the door they are zooming all over the place, trying to steal the first bite of dessert, breaking everything, and there seems to be no way to stop their hyperactivity.

7. The Honorary Family Member Friend

It’s the friend that is practically family. They’re the one that seems to always be at your house (they don’t even knock anymore, they just walk in), the one that is always at every single family function, and the one that you swear is going to marry into your family, but, of course, you love them like family, so it works out anyways.

8. The Rapidly Aging Cousin

You see this cousin maybe once every three years at a random holiday party and you never know when you’re going to see him again. The only thing that you know is that he didn’t have a beard when you last saw him.

9. The Where-Are-You-In-My-Family-Line Family Member

You have absolutely no idea how you are related to this person. Every time they see you they act like they haven’t seen you in ages and you stand there awkwardly while they hug and kiss you and mouth to your mom “who is this” and watch in horror as she shrugs back.

10. The Significant Other You Will Probably Never See Again

Ah yes, it started with a hello and it will probably never start with that again. Your cousin has once again brought home another girl and you have seen this too many times before to not know better. A cordial hand-shake and it ends at that because you know that this girl is not coming back.