10 Essential Oils That Everyone Should Own

Because they're for more than just smelling nice!

42
Pure Beauty

In a world where home remedies run rampant and alternative medicine is becoming more and more prominent, three words can be seen and heard just about everywhere in these communities: aromatherapy and essential oils. Although the health benefits of essential oils often come into question, far and above, they've proven to be more effective than they have not. Of course, like anything else in life, they are what you make of them, but as someone who started off a skeptic, I have to say I'm a very firm believer now. They've helped me more than I could have ever expected, and I'd love to see them have the same results for someone else. So, with that being said, here's my personal (non-professional and non-medically certified) list of the ten essential oils that everyone should own.

1. Lavender

Arguably the most common and most popular essential oil, lavender oil has more purposes than just smelling absolutely incredible. Lavender oil is known for its anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Most commonly used in purposes of relieving muscle and joint pain, as well as relieving stress, it has also been used to promote the healing of wounds and aid in the healing of skin conditions such as acne and eczema. To top it all off, this is only the beginning of the list of things lavender oil can be used for. If I had to recommend one essential oil above all else to own, it would definitely be lavender.

2. Tea Tree

Also a relatively well-known essential oil, the uses for tea tree oil are also quite vast in number. To start, it's been known to soothe sunburn and bug bites, remove ticks and prevent fleas and lice, treat psoriasis, acne, and other skin infections, as well as helping to heal and soothe foot-based fungal infections and athlete's foot. And all of those are just the medical side of tea tree oil. The oil can also be used to create quick and easy household cleaners (just by mixing a few teaspoons with water), to freshen laundry and remove mildew from forgotten laundry (no more having to rewash clothes!), and to clean mold. Pretty awesome for one little oil, right?

3. Peppermint

While you might be familiar with peppermint as a flavoring or as a little red and white candy, peppermint oil offers so many benefits beyond flavoring your favorite peppermint mocha and being a common toothpaste flavor. Perhaps most handy for students, peppermint oil is known to be a natural energizer, providing a safer alternative than energy drinks, as well as being a natural concentration aid. Peppermint oil is also known for reducing symptoms of IBS, reducing hunger cravings, reducing nausea, and improving bloating and indigestion. Pair all of that with how it's additionally known for reducing headaches, reducing fevers, and aiding with allergy relief and respiratory disorders, it seems like there's next to nothing peppermint oil can't do!

4. Frankincense

One of the most historical and well documented oils, frankincense is not as common in modern times as some of its essential oil companions, but that hardly makes it any less useful! Among its most notable qualities, frankincense oil has been used to help reduce stress and anxiety without any of the negative side effects that medications often carry, in addition to acting as a natural sleep aid through being able to ease the effects of said stress and anxiety. It's also been used to balance hormones, allowing relief from cramps, bloating and other symptoms attributed to PMS. Also extremely helpful is its capabilities as a natural disinfectant, both for your body and for your home. Who doesn't love it when something has multiple purposes?

5. Lemon

Although lemon oil doesn't necessarily contain as many of the health benefits that other oils on this list do, the ones that it does carry plus all the amazing things it can do for you around your house make it an oil I think is definitely a must-have. For around the house, lemon oil is great for removing that mildew smell from laundry, acting as a natural cleaner and disinfectant that's perfect for cleaning floors and countertops, making a great wood and silver polish, and acting as a "goo-be-gone" for all those sticky messes! It can also help with keeping your hands clean, teeth whitening, promoting fat loss, and immune system support. All that in an oil from one little fruit!

6. Oregano

I know what you're probably thinking. Oregano seems like a little bit of an odd one out on this list, and I totally get that. I used to feel the same way, but even though we're mostly used to oregano in terms of cooking, oregano oil also comes with some benefits of its own. Heading into this cold season, a common use is in alleviating sinus infections and colds. While it might not necessarily act as cure, it definitely helps relieve some of the more prominent symptoms. It can also be used to treat infections, parasites, and foot and nail fungi. But, perhaps one of the most amazing things about oregano oil is that it's also been proven to help kill off some of the strongest bacterias in MRSA. Bet you'll never look at it as just another herb, huh? Me either.

7. Eucalyptus

It's not just for koalas, as adorable as they may be! Eucalyptus oil has properties that it make it a great oil to have, both for health purposes and miscellaneous around-the-house purposes. On the health spectrum, it's been proven highly effective in alleviating cold and flu symptoms, alleviating sinus and allergy related issues, treating respiratory problems, and providing a pretty good wound treatment. On the other side of the spectrum, it's also great to use as an odor remover around your house, a spot cleaner for those tricky to remove carpet stains, a natural air freshener and hand cleaner, as well as providing nourishment to one's hair. Looks like the koalas have pretty good taste!

8. Rose

Believe it or not, roses make for more than just pretty flowers and incredible pictures! Rose oil actually carries a number of benefits, apart from providing a nice aroma around your home. One of the most prominent uses of rose oil is its use in the treatment of depression and anxiety. It's been a remedy that has been used for centuries, the calming aroma working to alleviate these feelings, and trust me, it works. Additionally, rose oil can be quite handy when it comes to overall skin health, especially in terms of reducing acne. And, well, last but certainly not least, rose oil can also be used as a hormone balancer and libido enhancer. Suddenly makes sense why roses are so popular around Valentine's Day, doesn't it?

9. Chamomile

Chamomile is good for more than just tea! As fantastic as chamomile tea can be, chamomile oil has just as many wonderful properties. On the beauty side of it, it's commonly used to reduce the redness and inflammation associated with acne, eczema, skin rashes, and scarring. It can also add shine to any color hair, as well as adding additional brightness to blonde hair. Not to mention, it also acts as a natural softener and anti-dandruff agent. On the health side, it's also known to be an analgesic and pain reliever, a natural antidepressant, good for improving your central nervous system, and a protector against many infections and intestinal disorders.

10. Rosemary

Last, but certainly not least, we have rosemary oil! It's another one that isn't quite as common, but still has plenty of upsides to make it my last selection for this list. Of all the benefits rosemary oil has to offer, perhaps the best one to mention, especially for students, is that it's been proven to help with concentration, learning, memory, and studying. It also assists in keeping one more alert. The benefits don't stop there, however! It's also handy for coughs, headaches, indigestion, pain relief, and overall immune system stability. Definitely something that all college students could use, but something that is also handy in everyday life, no matter who you are!