10 Easy Ways To Help The Environment
Politics

10 Easy Ways To Help The Environment

The climate change is real, and you can help reverse the damages in a few easy ways.

263
10 Easy Ways To Help The Environment
Stefan Stefancik

Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.

A large group of people really don't believe that climate change is real or that our environment isn't changing at all. There is real, hard scientific evidence that our climate is changing, and it is changing fast. Ice caps are melting, our forests are being destroyed, entire animal species are going extinct, coral reefs have declined by 50% in the last 30 years, natural disasters are occurring at an exponential rate and the global population is at an all time high. You may not believe in global warming, but you should. We need to be the change that stops the current climate issue, and hopefully start to reverse the decline we have caused.

Here are 10 easy ways you can help the environment and do your part by switching to environmentally friendly practices.

1. Switch from beef to chicken

I know you probably will stop reading from this point on, but bare with me. Cow waste emits methane which is more harmful to our environment than CO2 is. By switching out beef for chicken occasionally, you are reducing the methane emissions. In the US 47% of our land is dedicated to food production, 70% of this land is used to grow food for cattle. Only 1% of this land is used to actually feed humans.

2. Cut back plastic usage

I get its really easy and convenient to use plastic silverware at lunchtime or paper plates and solo cups at your Friday tailgate, but this plastic doesn't break down and contributes to our waste. You can do a big part by simply packing a real fork for your lunch, or investing in a nice refillable water. Not only will this save you money, it will help save the environment.

3. Walk or bike when you can

In a lot of places this isn't possible, but when it is, try to walk or ride your bike to get from place to place. I am guilty of driving about 6 blocks to work just for convenience instead of walking to work. By switching to walking or riding a bike, you are being more active, using less gas, and lowering CO2 emissions from your car.

4. Make your own compost bin

Home composting can offer your family multiple benefits as well as the environment. The most important way home composting helps is by lessening the burden of landfills because there isn't as much waste being added to the landfill each day. Composting provides you with a free soil additive and a natural fertilizer that you can use on your own garden and help you achieve more natural effective fertilizers for fresher vegetables. Lastly, using compost as mulch can help in water conservation, and help you cut back on your water bill. Check out this beginners guide to composting to get started https://www.younghouselove.com/2008/08/younghouselovedotcompost/

5. Recycle

It can be complicated to recycle and pay attention to your waste to make sure everything you are throwing away isn't recyclable. The easiest way to make sure you recycle is by making bins easily accessible in places you walk past frequently. You can buy recycled paper and when you can, print on both sides. Recycle the newspaper or magazine when you are done reading it. Buy rechargeable batteries instead of the ones you throw away when they are dead. Keep an eye out for alternatives of items you use everyday that are made of recyclables, not just paper can be recycled.

6. Change out your lightbulbs

A few years ago the big movement was to switch to CFO lightbulbs, and now we have new technology and the LED bulbs are being encouraged. Switching to LED bulbs not only saves you money on your electric bill, but also makes your home greener. LED bulbs also last 6 times as long as a traditional bulb, helping reduce waste as well.

7. Bring your own grocery bags

This one is pretty simple, but often over looked. Here is a link that will share with you 25 Reasons to Go Reusable https://www.reusethisbag.com/25-reasons-to-go-reusable.php Switching to reusable grocery bags can make carrying your groceries easier, some stores offer a discount if you bring your own bags, and you are greatly reducing the amount of waste going to our landfill every day.

8. Save water

It may not seem like a big deal to conserve water, but not only will these save you money, they can also help the environment. Make sure you turn off the faucet when you brush your teeth, it doesn't seem like much, but can really save water. Invest in a water filter so you stop buying bottled water, cutting back on plastic waste. Only wash your hair every other day or every few days, your hair will thank you.

9. Switch from disposable to reusable

Our modern society has really adapted to items that are single use. Switch from paper towels to actual hand towels. Use real linen napkins, not packaged ones. Make your own make up remover wipes with reusable facial wipes and remover. Check out this link on 15 other ways you can switch from disposable to reusable https://richlyrooted.com/2014/04/switch-from-disposable-to-reusable.html

10. Plant your own garden

This one isn't possible for everyone, but for those of you that can, this is an extremely rewarding way to help the environment. You will be able to have fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables right from your back yard. You'll have compost from your home compost bin to support your soil! You can have your own garden on your porch in pots if you can, tomatoes do well in pots! Growing your own plants helps generate clean air for us to breath, and will help you be healthier too.

If you are interested in learning more about climate change, the environment, ways you can contribute, and other helpful tips, I've provided a few links below to help get you started. We only have one planet, let't take care of our home so future generations can have a home too. It's our responsibility to care for our planet, we need to do our part.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/before-the-flood/videos/watch-before-the-flood-for-free-everywhere/

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/big-thaw/

https://www.outsideonline.com/2144781/6-best-environmental-groups-donate-better-world