10 Delightful Recipes to Spice Up Your Holidays

Tis the season of giving and indulging...just a wee bit!

44
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/21/636494281786790085-1509366681_dinner.jpg

Holiday season is amongst us folks, so you know what that means? Stretchy pants and eating the delectably rich foods that we avoid all year (especially during summer). So, here are 10 recipes that my family and I splurge on this time of year!

1. Hot Cocoa

Things you'll need

1/4 C. Granulated sugar, 1/4 C. Cocoa, 1.5 C. Water, 6 C. Milk, Pinch of salt, and 1/2 TSP. Vanilla

(Serves 6-10)

Heat water over low. Mix cocoa and sugar together and add to the water. Mix until mixture boils (usually for about 4 minutes or so). Add 6 cups of milk and heat until scalding. DO NOT BOIL! Add salt and vanilla to the cocoa mixture. Mix until smooth. Serve hot with a pile of marshmallows and enjoy! (After I've poured myself a cup of piping hot cocoa, I also add a bit of cinnamon or a peppermint stick just for a little something, something).

2. Oatmeal Cookies

I make these every year! I found the original recipe in the oatmeal container, but I add my own little spin to it.

Things you need

1.5 sticks butter (softened and unsalted), 3/4 C. packed brown sugar, 1/2 C. granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 1 TSP. Vanilla, 1.5 C. All purpose flour, 1 TSP. baking soda, 1. TSP baking powder, 1 TSP. cinnamon, 1/2 TSP. Salt, 3 C. Oats (uncooked), 1 C. raisins 1 tsp rum (optional), 1 C. pecans (chopped finely)

(Makes 4 dozen)

Preheat oven 350 F. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, and rum should you add it; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture. Add oats and raisins and mix well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet and then move to wire rack. Cool completely and store tightly.

3. Rotel Dip

Things you'll need

1 LB. Ground Sausage (I personally use breakfast sausage) 1 can Rotel Dip. Velveeta Cheese 1 bag of tortilla chips

Fry your sausage in a pan until completely cooked. Empty rotel into the crockpot with sausage and combine. Add Velveeta cheese into the crockpot on low heat. Melt completely and mix ingredients together.

I love this recipe because it's so versatile. Plus just sit out the dip filled crockpot with a bag of chips and a stack of plates and let guests enjoy while you finish in the kitchen.

4. Cheese Straws

3 oz Parmesan cheese (grated), 2 oz butter (softened), 4 oz flour, 1 egg yolk, cayenne pepper, and parsley.

Pre heat oven to 350 F.

Sieve flour into a bowl, add a dash of cayenne pepper, mix in butter, and add cheese. Mix the egg yolk with 1 tbsp. of cold water, add this to the flour mixture and mix to a paste, and knead a little. Roll out on to a floured board and cut into thin strips about 3 inches long and 1/8 inches wide. Put these strips on to a greased cookie sheet and bake until the straws are a pale brown color. When cooked, sprinkle with parsley. Be careful when moving the straws as they are very fragile!

(Serves 5-6)

5. Rolo Pretzles

1 bag Rolos, 1 Bag Pretzels ( I like to use the squares, but feel free to use the traditional shaped), Halved Pecans (I usually use around 2- 3 cups).

Pre-heat oven to 350

Line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. Line pretzels in rows on the cookie sheet, placing one rolo on each pretzel. Place in oven for 3 minutes. Immediately after you remove them from the oven, gently press one pecan half on each rolo and let cool completely.

(You choose how many these serve)

6. Grinch Punch

1 Gallon Lime Sherbet, 1 L Ginger Ale, 1 LG can pineapple juice

Dump Sherbet into a large punch bowl. Just enjoy until it is finished.

(Depending on how many people you're expecting, you may want to have a couple of gallons of sherbet, and some extra ginger ale liters as backup).

7. Julia Child's Crepes

1 C. Cold Water, 1 C. Cold Milk, 4 eggs, 1/2 TSP. Salt or Sugar (depending on if they are savory or sweet), 1.5 C. Flour, and 4 TSP Melted Butter

Place liquids, eggs, salt or sugar into a blender, and then adds the flour and then butter. If you're like me, and you don't have a blender, use a hand blender or whisk together by hand. The batter should be very thin. Julia says that it should just "coat a wooden spoon". Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

If you're like me again, you don't have a fancy crepe pan so a regular fry pan will do. Heat the pan to medium heat. Scoop batter into the pan and roll it around into a thin layer quickly. Place the pan on heat for 1-2 minutes. Gently lift the side of the crepe with the spatula and flip. Cook for another 30-60 seconds. Stack on a plate.

Savory Breakfast: I personally like scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and sausage crumbles in mine.

Sweet Breakfast: The options are endless.

One is Nutella and Bananas. Spread Nutella on the crepe, and put sliced bananas on the inside.

Another option is to use berries and cream. Any berries you choose. My personal favorite combination is strawberries and blueberries with some orange or lemon zest to brighten it up and a dollop of whipped cream.

One more festive option is Pecan Cinnamon Roll Crepes: (Filling) Mix 3/4 C. Brown Sugar (Packed), 1/4 C. Granulated Sugar, 3/4 C. chopped pecans, 2 TSP Cinnamon, 1/8 TSP salt, 1 TBSP unsalted butter (melted). (Icing): 2 TBSP. unsalted melted butter (melted), 1TSP Vanilla, 2 TBSP Milk, 1 C. confectioners' sugar.

Melt the Brown sugar mixture in a pot on low heat. Stir frequently. When melted, take off heat and spread mixture on crepes. Roll crepes into tubes or into triangles.

Icing: Beat melted butter, vanilla, milk, and confectioners' sugar together until creamy

Drizzle crepes with icing.

8. Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding

(I like Gordon Ramsay's recipe)

Roast: 3 lbs. Boneless roast, 2 TBSP cooking oil, 1/2 tsp salt (plus more for seasoning), black pepper, 1 c. plain flour, 4 eggs beaten, 1 1/4 cups milk, 4 tbsp. beef drippings, 3-4 sprigs of thyme, 4 garlic cloves peeled, 2 onions peeled and sliced, 4 plum tomatoes halved, 1/2 cup of red wine, 5 cups beef stock.

Heat oven to 400 F. Season beef with salt and pepper; seat in a hot roasting pan with the olive oil to brown on all sides, 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer to oven; allowing 20 minutes per pound for medium.

Make Yorkshire pudding batter: sift flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add the eggs and half the milk; beat until smooth. Mix in remaining milk; let batter rest. When beef is cooked, transfer it to a warmed plate. Cover it lightly with tin foil and let it rest in a warm place while you cook pudding and gravy.

Raise oven temperature to 450 F.

Put 1 tsp. beef drippings or vegetable oil into a section of a 12-hole muffin tin. Put it in the oven on the top shelf until extremely hot (almost to smoking point).

While waiting for oil or drippings to warm up, whisk the batter again. When oil/drippings are hot, quickly ladle the batter into each hole and put tray back into the oven. Bake for 12-20 minutes until the puddings are risen high, golden brown, and crisp. DON'T OPEN OVEN DOOR!!!!!! If you do, they will fall. Wait until the meal is completely finished.

Gravy: pour fat from the roasting pan and place over medium heat. Add thyme, garlic, onion, and tomatoes. Cook 4-5 minutes and pour in the wine and simmer. Mash the tomatoes to help thicken the sauce. Pour in the stock; simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Strain the gravy and press the veggies to get more flavor from them. Reduce to a gravy consistency. Taste the seasoning.

Thinly carve the beef. Serve with gravy and Yorkshire puddings.

9. Grandma's Mac & Cheese

So this is my take on my grandma's mac & cheese!

1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 stick butter (melted), 1/2 c. sharp cheddar, 1/2 c Mild Cheddar, 1/2 c. Muenster, 1tsp mustard, 1 cup Milk, 1 cup evaporated milk.

Preheat oven to 350 F

Boil salted water and add noodles to it. Boil for half of the time recommended on the box and drain.

Beat eggs, melted butter, mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and milk together. Pour over the noodles.

In a separate bowl, combine the cheeses.

Mix in 1/2 C cheese in the noodle and egg/ milk mixture. Pour in a casserole dish and cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 30-40 Minutes until the edges get nice and golden brown.

(Serves 8)

10. Overnight Breakfast Casserole

This is a simpler breakfast than the crepes.

1 lb. bag of tater tots, butter for baking dish, 1 tbsp. oil, 1 lb. breakfast sausage (any will do), 1 medium onion diced finely, 1 cup milk, 1/2 half and half (or any cream will do), 1/4 tsp seasoning salt (Lowery's is my favorite), 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 4 large eggs, 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. (You can add 1 finely diced green pepper if you'd like).

Butter a 9x13 casserole dish and line tater tots across the bottom, Add Oil to a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage and onions to the pan to cook. Break sausage with a wooden spoon until browned and cooked through. (Usually around 8 minutes). Set aside and cool. Sprinkle mixture over tater tots.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, season salt, cayenne, eggs, peppers half of the cheese, and salt and pepper and pour over the tater tots and sausage. Pour rest of the cheese over the casserole. Cover casserole with foil or plastic wrap and stick in the refrigerator over night.

Pre heat the oven to 350 F. Bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 25-30 minutes until cooked through and the cheese is brown and bubbly.

I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as my family does!!