My 10 Best Moments Of Summer

My 10 Best Moments Of Summer

Take a little adventure through my summer moments.

796
My 10 Best Moments Of Summer
Aboutamom

Last year I decided to leave Indiana and have a new adventure. The adventure was college and the place is Iowa. I worked my butt off last summer and saved a few dollars before I packed up my room and drove across two states to my new home for nine months. College was different in a good and bad way. I found some great friends and learned quite a bit about myself, however those last couple months of school couldn’t go by fast enough. I just wanted to be home having the best summer yet. As the summer is all too quickly coming to an end, I would like to reminisce on some of the best summer moments.

I’ll take you back to May 19, 2016, 9:00 a.m. My car was loaded down with all my clothes that I had gathered over the year. The on-campus security blessed me with his presence because I was blocking the garbage truck but I left right after the little encounter. I called my mom and told her I would see her in approximately nine hours. I was on my way to smooth sailing with nothing but 295 miles of open road.

Moment number one: Hard core rocking out to classic rock driving down I-380. I don’t care if people were looking at me funny, I had to stay awake and alert. I would occasionally take a break to the more soothing remedy of Kenny Chesney and Billy Currington. I also did something I have never done and until I did it never thought I would. I ate in a public place by myself and enjoyed every minute of it. As I continued my jam session, time was whizzing by and my mom would call periodically to check my progress, which leads me to my next moment.

Moment number two: Turning into my cul-de-sac I saw the words “Welcome Home Tay” written in chalk on the drive way. I was so blessed to see my family and two best friends awaiting my arrival. I felt so special in that moment that I will never forget the way they were laughing because I burst into tears.

Moment number three: After days of unpacking I decided to treat myself to poolside therapy and it was successful due to my vampire white skin not frying. A few of my friends from high school made plans to go to the beach so that is what we did the next day. That day it was a cloudless, breezeless day on Lake Michigan and I don’t think I’ve ever been so burnt. Even though I was as red as a shiny red apple, I embraced it.

Moment number four: My first day back at Boling Vision Center. I interned at BVC the previous year because I want to be an eye doctor when I grow up. I have my mom to thank for the amazing opportunity to be part of such a prestigious company. All of my colleagues welcomed me back with so much enthusiasm that I knew I was missed.

Moment number five: Surprising my friend Leo at his navy boot camp graduation. The last time I saw him was when he dropped me off at the airport in April. I can say we didn’t even skip a beat when we saw each other. He was the same Leo just a little more grown up.

Moment number six: Allowing my mom to experience one of her favorite places again. Stone Mountain in Georgia was spectacular. My family took a little ride up to the top of the mountain to overlook the entire park. I don’t like heights by any means but I loved this spot. That day in Georgia it just seemed to get more humid as the day went on until the clouds couldn’t hold anymore moisture and drenched us with its cool drops. That night I saw the world-renowned laser show and fireworks because it was the Fourth of July.

Moment number seven: Learning that after not playing softball for three months, I picked it up like I’d never stopped playing. Granted I thought my shoulder was going to fall out of the socket, but it was worth it. Softball is my life. There is nothing better than the aroma of dirt, sweat and stinky socks.

Moment number eight: I had had a very stressful day at work and I couldn’t wait to take my scrubs off and put on a pair of yoga’s and a t-shirt. My mom texted me during my lunch break and said we were having a craft night and maybe to ask my friend Danielle if she would like to come over. I texted her and she said of course and that night was full of joy and laughter. It was a perfect girl’s Friday night with wine and canvas’. That Friday was the best way to unwind from a stressful day.

Moment number nine: Waking up at 2:13 in the morning to a text from a friend saying “How would you like a few of us to road trip out to Indiana?” The first thing they said to me when they arrived was “We now understand why you drive so fast and have really bad road rage.” We had some poolside therapy, retail therapy and a good ole’ Amish home-cooked meal. Those three days came and went too fast but I was so happy I got to spend a few days with the friends that made me want to come to Buena Vista.

Moment number ten: Saying goodbye to one of my best friends three days after I got home was not fun at all. I took to working and poolside therapy to pass the time until she got home. It was a great surprise when I heard our backdoor open and she popped out into the living room. Since she’s been home, we have spent little time apart.

What I love about my life are the people I’ve surrounded myself with. It’s hard to come up with moments that haven’t had a good ending. I love saying “it is the little things in life that bring so much joy to a person.” These moments may be minor details but these are the moments that when thinking back put the biggest smile on my face. I’m ready to set sail back to Iowa to begin round two of bigger and better moments.