21 People Describe The Happiest Moments Of Their Lives

In case you could use a little happiness today.

18859
Kendall Fleer

What do you get when you ask friends, strangers, relatives, etc to describe the happiest moments of their life to you? You get personal, touching, inspiring stories that give you a glimpse into how much beauty there truly is in this chaotic life. Some are simple, and others complex, but all of them brought a smile to my face and I hope that they can do the same for you, that this list of happy moments from the lives of people from all different ages, backgrounds and stories can drop a little bit of sunshine into this world we live in.

"Riding in the car with my best friend Ashley listening to music blasting with the windows down and the wind in our hair, and knowing in that moment, we were young, happy and free." -- Ana, 19

"The day Jesus saved me! God is always good!" -- Donna, 53

"My junior year of high school some of my best friends and I decided to do a group musical number for a national competition. Representing our school was a huge deal because no one had won first in over four years from our school so we really had something to prove. We had practiced tirelessly and endlessly for months. We ended up getting average scores which was heartbreaking. We lost all hope of winning. During intermission of the show that night they would project the top performers in each category over the audience. Barely watching, we all looked up at the monitor to see that we qualified for one of the top two teams in our category. We all erupted into screams and tears of happiness. To share such an amazing moment with all my friends and to have such hard work pay off was something I'll never forget. It was so incredibly inspiring." -- Addison, 18

"When I found out I was pregnant (with my first child and two years later with twins) after being told I would never have children." -- Lisa, 55

"Just recently, while I was a counselor at a bible camp. I've had a very rough time finding my identity and overcoming hardships from my middle school to high school. Only recently have I found closure with those issues, and it was amazing how God was able to use that. Because one of the happiest moments in my life was when I got to help a girl who had attempted suicide three times (she's only 14) find hope through my story. She wrote me a thank you note saying how wonderful it has been to know me, and honestly it was all because of God. He put me through so much so that one day I'd be able to bring hope to a 14-year-old girl who didn't have any." -Gabby, 19

"High school was pretty rough for me, grades were not so good and my JR/SR years I really struggled with family and personal issues. My dad had a hard time with me not doing well in HS. After high school I took a year off and then decided it was time to go back to school. I started at a community college and then moved up from there. I called my dad to tell him I had been accepted to MSU and he told me he was proud of me. That was the best thing he could have ever told me." -Tommy, 26

"When I married my wife 30 years ago. I knew immediately that she was the one for me and 30 years later we're still together and happy. At least I am." -Tim, 55

"When I swam in the Pacific Ocean for the first time. It was in Australia, this summer, and the waves kicked the shit out of me and my strapless bikini was at my stomach every time I came up from the water, but it was such an awesome experience. I would kill to go back to that day!" -Kaitlyn, 21

"When I realized I found my person. And when I realized I was his person, too." -Elle, 22

"Every single time I teach my little second graders I see the goodness in humanity. As a teacher you have to try to see things from the view of your students and I think, at least for me, that it has been a blessing in disguise. Children see the world in such a pure light, it's truly wonderful. They trust with their whole heart and they see the goodness in things. They have a lovely view of the world and of people that we should all have. I have never felt anything more inspiring than the kiddos that I get to teach every day." -Laura, 23

"May sound a little corny but I like to think my happiest time is today and soon replaced by tomorrow. Always trying to enjoy the moment and looking forward to what is coming next with great enthusiasm." -Scott, 58

"Last summer when I was camping and looked up to see the Milky Way perfectly visible. It had been a crazy night where one of my friends had gotten real sick and we had to call an ambulance. After the chaos, we all laid down and looked up to see the sky illuminated and I felt at peace despite the craziness that comes with life. It is one image I will never forget as I was just in awe at how majestic and large our universe is and how even with its vastness I was here and had a part in it. Also, when I look up at the sky, I feel as if my family or loved ones who have passed on are up there and I kinda imagine that they are smiling down and watching over me." -Victoria, 21

"This is hard... I am never happier than when I see my children accomplish a goal, or do something to show that they have learned respect for others." -Brent, 53

"I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand. We visited a few of the surrounding villages spending time with the people and helping build churches and other much needed things. One day we were laying cement and beginning to construct bathrooms outside a church when I saw a little girl watching me from far away. When we took a break I decided to run over to her. We spent the afternoon running around, dancing and giving piggy back rides. I soon found out that her name was Ititaya, and the language barrier couldn't keep my heart from falling in love. The next day as I walked up the hill to the church we were working at, I saw a small girl running down the hill. I bent down to pick her up and she jumped into my arms and kissed my cheek. I was overwhelmed. In Thailand, the people are very friendly, but not always touchy and visible with their love, so the innocent kiss on my cheek melted my heart. I will never forget this moment." -Emily, 19

"When my son celebrated one year in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse! He is celebrating 2 years next week. No one understands how hard it is for the addict and the family. But never giving up on your child is only natural. People believe that someone chooses to use and they do but they never think they will be the person who becomes addicted." -Anonymous

"January of 2015. Hearing my son was cancer free after testicular cancer surgery was a success." -Karen, 54

"Marrying my husband Kip. It will be 36 years in September. I was a child bride, everyone tried to talk us into waiting. At 15, I was engaged (at Skate'O'Rama). Turned 16 in August, married that September to the love of my life. God is good. Still love him. The funny part... He used to push me in my baby buggy. He was at the house playing with my big brother when I came home from the hospital, I've known him my entire life." -Cindy, 52

"When my little brother who has autism graduated from high school." -Saundra, 21

"Last summer, I was in a really low place and I didn't understand my purpose for being here and I went through a lot of self struggle and just felt worthless. My ultimate struggle was with my Faith and being Christian I felt ashamed that I lost contact with God. Well before I left to college I was outside just trying to get away from everyone and there was a huge rainstorm out of nowhere that knocked literally everything down, tornado winds, and hail that was huge. During the storm I broke down in tears because I felt as if nothing could get any worse for me as everything outside was getting destroyed as well as everything on the inside of me. All of a sudden the storm just stopped and I looked up and I saw the clouds move faster than I have seen them in my life. As I looked up a triple rainbow appeared right in front of me and it was so close I could almost touch it and then sun came out and as weird and cliche as it sounds, I felt something inside of me. I literally felt arms around me, these butterflies in my stomach, and a voice saying, "everything is going to be okay, you make it through the storm." I thought I heard a ghost so I started freaking out and ran inside because I thought someone broke in to my house, and there was no one there. I literally felt God on me and telling me that I made it. That day is a day I will never remember because it not only restored my faith but made me realize that even though you will face mountains in your life, you will make it to the top and reach the other side. It was the most beautiful moment of my entire life." -Lizzie, 19

"The first time I kissed the love of my life. He turned my world upside down and every morning that I get to wake up next to him, I thank God for blessing me with the most amazing husband I could ever ask for." -Anonymous, 24

"When my daughter whom has a rare illness was able to carry my only grandchild... She was born early at 5 pounds, but now is as big as me and starting high school today! She's a true blessing." -Sherry, 55

"Spring break of my freshman year of college. 6 am. Sitting between my two best friend since middle school Kyla and Ana (the two girls I know will stand beside me throughout the rest of my life, be bridesmaids at my wedding, etc) watching the sun come up over the Grand Canyon. A spot at a campsite near the South Rim had opened up for a single night, and it happened to fall on a night during all of our spring breaks (We attend different schools) so Kyla surprised Ana and I by booking it and planning the trip. We drove almost 700 miles in one day, to spend one night at one of the seven wonders of the world. It was silent, peaceful, and indescribably and unbelievably beautiful. A moment I'll never forget with friends I wouldn't ever want to forget." (My own happiest moment)