10 Artists You Should Be Listening To

10 Artists You Should Be Listening To

A list of artists who deserve to be heard.

88
10 Artists You Should Be Listening To
Gear Patrol

As usual, I can pinpoint exactly what's missing in your life. This time, it's some new music. You're not going to find these artists on any Top 40 list - and that has nothing to do with their value. If you're a mainstream, "basic" music lover, not being mainstream doesn't decrease the quality of this list. On the other hand, if you're an ironic t-shirt wearing, alternative music lover, not being mainstream has nothing to do with what makes this list so beautiful. I am providing you with this list solely because these artists are fantastic and they deserve to be talked about and listened to.

1. Hayley Kiyoko

This musical goddess may look familiar to you from the small screen. She began her acting career on Disney Channel and recently starred in the Netflix original "XOXO." But her music is an entity entirely separate from her acting career, one that represents her identity as an artist and individual - one that is beautifully inspiring. My personal favorites tracks and music videos are "Girls Like Girls" and "Gravel to Tempo," both of which are available on Youtube and Spotify.

2. Great Good Fine Ok

Not only are the vocals unbelievably unaltered (I say unbelievably because it seems unreasonable to believe that any human can naturally hit the high vocals that this band manages to reach) but their live performances are incredibly high in energy and proof of their natural talent. Their upbeat and unique style is a pracitcally a genre of its own - one geared toward infusing a new level of happiness in your life. Great Good Fine Ok is the perfect example of a little band that knows how to put on a big show. Some of their best tracks, also available on Spotify, are "Take It Or Leave It," "By My Side," "You're The One For Me," and "Carried Away." If you ever get the chance to check them out live, take it - believe me, you will be eternally grateful that you did.

3. Handsome Ghost

Despite their out of town origins, the songs this band has created embody New York City for me. The lead singer has the kind of broody persona that makes you dream of the bad boy your parents warned you about and the pianist (middle picture) plays with more passion than you ever thought possible. "Steps" and "We Won't Sleep" are guaranteed to make you fall in love with this up and coming band, so just do yourself a favor and open up your Spotify account now. Thank me later.

4. Dana Williams

This beautiful girl has an even more beautiful voice. It's guaranteed to make you picture fields of green grass covered in sunflowers, acoustic guitars, and flower crowns from beginning to end of each track. She specializes in acoustic covers on youtube and her duets with Leighton Meester are epic, but the few originals she has released are just as satisfying.

5. Alessia Cara

I know, I know - I'm cheating. This girl has definitely made it on your Top 40 list with her outsider anthem "Here." But here's the thing, there is so much more to her music than just that one song. "Four Pink Walls," her first album (available on Spotify) is filled with fantastic tracks, each and every one of which are composed of beautiful and intelligent lyrics. If that's not enough to convince you to expand your focus on this girl, then let her push you to reach for the stars with this little bit of trivia - she wasn't even nineteen yet when the New York Times devoted a whole page to her in the music review section.

6. Jose Ganzalez

"Stay Alive" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. Yeah, that sounds dramatic, but it is a statement rooted entirely in honesty. This man's voice is that of an angel and you owe it to your soul to listen to him and his gift.

7. Jasmine Thompson

I discovered this artist through Spotify and I've been grateful to this amazing app since that lazy night. Jasmine is able to take any song and make it bring out every nostalgic cell in your body in a strangely soothing way.

8. Ra Ra Riot

Ra Ra Riot has been around long enough for me to be genuinely ashamed of mainstream media for not picking up on them and shoving them into the spotlight already. Not only are they even more impressive live than in the studio, but the tone of each song (live or not) is dripping with an authentic dedication to music and all that it encompasses. Just open up your Spotify already.

9. Yuna

You wanna know what's even more angelic and awe-inspiring than this woman's face? Her music. Seriously, every single one of her tracks is guaranteed to soothe your soul and lull you into a state of bliss.

10. Blackbear

I have to say, I've never been more impressed with a music suggestion than the one my friend gave me my freshman year of college for this artist. "90210" is the perfect driving song for when you just need to feel like a badass, "Deadroses" will inspire the brooding artist in you to come out and put on that leather jacket, and "Idfc" will get you through any break up that Cupid's stupid arrow throws at you.