10 Artists To Watch

10 Artists To Watch

Look out for big things from these artists in 2017

15
10 Artists To Watch

1. Aminé

Chances are you more than likely, probably, definitely have heard Aminé's smash hit "Caroline." But the Portland native is much more than "Caroline," as last year's "Calling Brio" will proudly exclaim. The ambitious project shows an artist that can jump from rough, raw, Big Baby DRAM style singing to skating over Kaytranada instrumentals. If I were you, I'd definitely be on the look out for more from Aminé.

2. Hurt Everybody

Consisting of members Supa Bwe, Supa Qari, and producer Mulatto Beats, Chicago Based "DIY Band" Hurt Everybody is eclectic, showing off their talents with a range of styles and sounds, ranging from bass heavy bangers like "3k47" or "2k47", to smooth verses over equally smooth beats like on "Sun Goddess" or "My Pack." There's plenty of material to familiarize yourself with, with two projects from the group, plenty of loosies, and a plethora of solo music from Supa Bwe available.

3. Mick Jenkins

Chicago MC Mick Jenkins is just right for you. Undoubtably. Mick comes with a variety of styles, but always with extremely lyrical lines. Whether he's flowing over jazzy beats or spitting hard, Mick always keeps it lyrical and always keeps it super relatable. Mick's "The Healing Component" is a personal favorite.

4. Tae Miles

Cleveland's Tae Miles is an entertaining artist, to say the least. Clearly influenced by artists like Bone Thugs n' Harmony, his sing-song cadence and quick wit are perfect vehicles to paint the vivid stories Miles is known for. With a large catalogue available to stream and download, there's plenty of Miles' music to get into.

5. H.E.R.

Who is she? No one knows. One thing we do know: her project "H.E.R. Vol 1" is one of, if not the best R&B projects this year. It's a short listen, clocking in at just over 20 minutes, but it's a powerful one; full of slow and sultry songs about love and loss, about relationships and value, things we can all relate to. It also has a great cover of Drake's "Jungle." It's a great listen, and the artistry is undeniable. Hopefully we get some answers about her identity and a new project soon.

6. Young M.A.

Chances are New York's Young M.A. has had you screaming out "OOOUUU!" for the past few months, but M.A. isn't satisfied with owning the summer, as her recent radio freestyles show. With a unique voice and her upward trajectory M.A. is poised to have a great career, if she can follow up on the success of her summer smash. OOOUUU!

7.Kipp Stone

Another artist for Cleveland, OH, Kipp Stone spent his 2016 garnering attention from seemingly everywhere, getting looks from publications like XXL, The Fader, and Mass Appeal. A dark, vivid storyteller, Kipp takes listeners through the streets of the city on tracks like "Down The Way" and shows off with his braggadocios lyricism on songs like "30 Feet Tall" and "Cult Classic." With the attention Kipp has been getting, look for his profile to grow in the near future.

8. Saba

If the name Saba sounds familiar to you, it's probably because you've heard him on one of fellow Chicagoan Chance The Rapper's productions. The Chicago MC featured on The Social Experiment's "Surf," lending his vocals to the track "SmthnthtIwnt," as well as "Angels" on Chance's solo project "Coloring Book." His solo work features spacy poetic lyrics over jazzy beats, and his new project, "Bucket List Project" is a serious gem.

9. D.R.A.M.

Having already flirted with commercial success, Hampton, Virginia native D.R.A.M. may seem like a no-brainer, but the rapper-slash-singer is here to prove that he's more than "Cha-Cha" and "Broccoli." His recent project, the self titled "Big Baby D.R.A.M." is an exploration of styles, from floaty ballads to smug spitting to tracks somewhere between the two. D.R.A.M. is here prove he can do it all, and do it all with a smile on his face.

10. Smino

St. Louis native Smino rounds out the list, last but certainly not least. This year's "blkjuptr" project serves as a perfect introduction, showing his versatility and listenability. You've probably caught Smino on the leaked Chance The Rapper/Big Sean/Jeremih track "Living Single," where he impressed with debatably the song's best verse, and had many wondering who he is. After dropping an EP and a couple singles this year, look forward to more from Smino in 2017.