'Call Of Duty World War 2' Review And Thoughts

Should you buy the game? Maybe but eh...

196

The Call of Duty franchise seems like something of the past, so it seems right that the newest release is a WWII remake.

While the remake brings nostalgia to the start of the series, the game doesn't stand up in the modern age of gaming. When the new COD is released in November, it usually dominates the shooter genre and is one of the most viewed on Twitch. And now, even post Christmas with a large influx of new players, there is seemingly no one watching.

The channel with the most viewers is usually only at like three thousand viewers, something that's hit for many smalltime PUBG or League of Legends channels. And on Youtube, after searching for new WWII videos I only found Driftor and a couple other people. I remember the days when there were only COD youtubers, but now they seem hard to find.

What I am saying isn't new though, we know COD is dying. With LoL, PUBG, Hearthstone, Fortnight, and Overwatch how can COD survive? And I don't think it can. Of course, there will always be people buying the game every November, but its usually not a good sign when a franchise is starting from the start again with its theme and if one goes to the Reddit, there is only an absurd amount of hate for the game. No nostalgia, just people calling the game trash and trying to find people to play older CODs with.

While I say all this, guess who has the game? Now, I didn't want it, not because I thought it was going to be bad or anything. Rather, I knew it was going to be just like all the others, and while somewhat fun, I just didn't want to drop $60 on something which was just going to bore me after a week.

Not only this, but I don't support the franchise and the glorification of war but the game did appear in my room. My dad decided to get the game because he wanted to watch; so, mine as well play it so the money isn't wasted.

And unlike what many people on the Reddit say, I enjoy the game. The multiplayer that is, the storyline is boring and stale, not a fan really. But the multiplayer, while it has many problems, its fun. It's the usual run and gun, and it keeps my attention. I like the Headquarters concept but hate the drop box concept. I like the weapons but hate the maps. And I like the players more than I have in the past but I really hate the spawn system this time around.

I like to see things like Headquarters which add more of a social part to the game and have a place to show off my outfit and just jump around. But then, of course, the thing I hate the most in games...drop boxes. I love getting new gun skins and such, but I hate the exploitation of players who I know spend way too much money on trying to get those crates.

I am having a lot of fun with the weapons, I cant remember having this much fun with my gun setups since Black Ops 1. I love running most of the submachine guns, all are actually quite unique and all can be good. I haven't really touched Assult Rifles, which is new not to, but once I can use the BAR that will change.

Snipers are, well I suck so I don't touch them. LMG's are a ton of fun and look amazing. AND my favorites, shotguns. While I think three of them are trash, they are all fun and stupid. I love the Combat Shotgun and the double-barrel duo even though they are so bad...so bad. Now the class set up is something new, I am unsure if I like it really but it does balance the game out a good bit, preventing people from becoming "super soldiers."

Maybe I am into the weapons and such because I like the old scenery and guns that are real and not fake guns from the "future." But the problem is the like 0 maps get stale. For the multiplayer, I believe there are 9 maps, which is actually the lowest number of maps ever. Of course, there will be new maps in add-ons. but a base 9 is so low and truly unacceptable.

And I have had a good time with the player base. I usually am flooded by 13-year-olds screaming and such or dudes yelling slurs. But this time around, no one even has a mic on. And when they do, they usually are just doing call outs. Maybe I have been lucky, but it been a lot better than I remember COD chat.

And then, the thing many people are unhappy about is the spawn system. There will always be spawn problems, but this time around, it been super bad with spawning right in front of enemies. And while I am understanding, the spawn situation almost makes the game unplayable on certain maps. And its been out for 2 months now, and no updates to fix is it not reassuring.

But hey, they did buff the Combat Shotgun, which definitely needed the buff.

Kidding aside, the game is well its Call of Duty. Worth 60 bucks? No way. If you love the run and gun style, I say buy it. I still think its better than PUBG, but that's just because without friends PUBG is just stupid boring. And the only other relevant shooter is Fortnight and I won't recommend that art style or game to anyone.

The only one left is COD and it will be fun for a little while, so if you have the cash I say buy it. Unless you plan to play on PC, as usual way too many hackers. The series is dying though, so do you but COD is really something of the past and it should stay there. Allow room for more shooters but smaller developers, its has it stronghold for a long time, the franchise needs to understand that is going to end soon. Or maybe it won't, maybe I am wrong but hell I hope it the franchise takes a step back.

But if just looking for a game to play, go with Heartstone or League.