The Exercise Band Craze

The Exercise Band Craze

These exercise bands seem to be a growing fad and with each new one coming out.

12
The Exercise Band Craze

1.   Fitbit 

This is the one that I have and bought over the summer. It tracks your everyday activity like how many steps you take, the distance, calories burned and how many ‘active minutes’ you have for the day. Active minutes include running but are not limited to that, it tracks if you have walked for long distances. It also has a feature to log your food, and how many calories you have left to eat during the day. The one feature that I think is the coolest is the way it can track your sleep patterns and wake you with silent alarms. You double tap when you go to sleep, and it tracks when you’re restless, awake and asleep; it then vibrates to silently wake you up. http://www.fitbit.com   

2.    Jawbone UP

The jawbone up is similar to the fitbit but it has a few different features as well. It tracks your sleep as well, but gives you bed time reminders and has a smart alarm to help wake you up at the optimal time of your sleep cycle. It analyzes your sleep, diet and exercise, and suggests adjustments that lead you to feel better. There is also a feature called ‘Idle Alert’ that reminds to you get up and moving throughout the day. https://jawbone.com/up  

3.    Pavlock 

To me, this is one of the most interesting ones so far. It is brand new and won’t be shipped until 2015, so you may have to wait a little if you want to try out this one. Its different in the sense that it lets you choose a daily action, such as waking up at a certain time, exercising more, and being more productive with less distractions. You choose your level of commitment at the beginning. You get rewarded when you reach your goals, but punished if you do not. If you fail at your goal, you may have to pay a fine, you may get locked out of your phone and the scariest of all is that the band will give you an electric shock. It’s not too painful , it is like the static electricity feel but it will remind you to get up and moving. Another feature, is that if you miss gym time, it will post to your Facebook to tell all of your friends that you missed a workout. http://pavlok.com  

4.    Nike Fuelband 

This is another band similar to the fitbit and jawbone UP, but it rewards you for your movment and allows you to compete and compare with other athletes. It gives you data that you may be interested in, such as active trends by gender, tracking your most active day, and showing you the cities that move the most. http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/nikeplus/nikefuel   

Use the websites listed under their descriptions to do more research and find out which exercise band is right for you!