ATL Hawks need to tank for Zion, now!!

I Need The Hawks To Tank

We usually lose unintentionally, but this time there's an exception.

47
Duke basketball

Once again, I find myself daydreaming of the day the Atlanta Hawks will raise the Larry O'Brien trophy. Unfortunately, this team has no business even making the playoffs even post-LeBron! With the signing of Jeremy Lin and 78-year-old Vince Carter, the Hawks have found themselves in a position where if they don't succeed, it's perfectly okay.

So enter this upcoming CBB season. The best player in the country commits to the best team in the country (Duke) and is now taking the earth by force. And by force, I mean by dunking on people. Zion Williamson is probably this generation's Dominique Wilkins; a statement that I'm extremely hesitant to write.

In this recent draft, we dished the number 3 pick to the Mavericks and picked up Oklahoma's Trae Young at number 5. Trae Young is supposedly Steph Curry caliber, but that doesn't guarantee much, considering that he still has some issues on defense. Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman were also drafted in the first round, to secure a paint presence and more shooters. But to be honest with you, that's not what want for the team.

I used to against tanking, failing all season to obtain a high draft pick that will inevitably be wasted on a wonky shooter from the ACC. I want a spectacle to mask the stench that is the Atlanta Hawks gameplay, and Zion's ridiculous dunks can take a loss to the Warriors from 0-100. And plus think of all the hype Atlanta would have with Trae Young, Lin, Vince and Zion on the team. It's an unhealthy mix of old and young, and that mix will totally take the Hawks to the second round at best!!

And I know what you're thinking; "Steven, you're getting major arena renovations that for some reason includes a barber shop! Why the harsh desires?" Well, I'll tell you why! The Hawks need an identity, something that can have the fans root for something other than the constant uniform changes. Hopefully, Atlanta will do the right thing and will tank for Zion. All so I can buy a new jersey because this Josh Smith jersey makes me look stupid.

So for the love of God, please draft Zion! Not only for the fanbase but for the fact that Atlanta has the best venues for mediocre teams.