Zayn Malik's 'Mind Of Mine': A New Era

Zayn Malik's 'Mind Of Mine': A New Era

A look into Malik's debut album, Mind of Mine.

31
Zayn Malik's 'Mind Of Mine': A New Era
EW.com

March 25, 2016. An exact year after many young hearts were broken and dreams were devastated with the news of Zayn Malik's departure from popular boyband, One Direction. But along with this came a new era for the ex-boyband member - a solo career. Last week, Zayn Malik, now under the artist name ZAYN, released his debut solo album "Mind of Mine". Along with breaking the hearts of teenage girls and young adults, in a good way, Zayn's debut album also broke iTunes charts, becoming the first debut album in history reach number one in over 70 countries.

So with all of that said, what really is Mind of Mine? Let's take a look into the magic.

1. "MiNd of MiNdd (intro)"

"MiNd of MiNdd (intro)" is a smooth 57 second intro with only 4 lines of lyrics. It's a nice opening to the album and almost acts like the prologue to a book. Zayn invites his listeners to come in and listen to, literally, his mind.

2. "PILLOWTALK"

"PILLOWTALK" premiered on Jan. 29 as Zayn's first song after leaving One Direction and first single off his album. The song focuses on sex, but goes deeper into the love and relationship behind it. Zayn talked about his song with The Sunday Times: "Everybody has sex, and it’s something people want to hear about. It’s part of everybody’s life, a very big part of life!" Well said, Zayn. As we all know, sex sells, and this song sold.

3. "iT's YoU"

"iT's YoU" was Zayn's second single off his debut album and was first premiered and performed on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The song strays away from PILLOWTALKs uplifting beat and focuses more on a mellow R&B sound. It also showcases the range of Malik's voice. The sound of the song came as a surprise to many people after his first single was released.

4. "BeFoUr"

"BeFoUr" was Zayn's last song released as a single before debuting "Mind of Mine". Many suspect that it is connecting to his departure from One Direction. The song was written in a Las Vegas studio while One Direction was promoting and touring their album "Four." The song reintroduces an upbeat melody, electric twist and catchy beat. Personally, one of my favorite songs from the album.

5. "sHe"

"sHe" is the fifth song on "Mind of Mine". The song is described by Malik as a "party tune" and "not as intensely lyrical". Again, the song brings back a familiar electric beat. When focusing on the lyrics, you can almost place a pop beat in the song and instantly turn it into a new One Direction song. If you listen to the album closely, you can hear a continuous melody as "sHe" slips into the sixth song of the album, "dRuNk."

6. "dRuNk"

"dRuNk," the sixth song off the album, slides back into a smooth R&B beat. The song focuses on - that's right - intoxication. However, this intoxicating feeling comes with the love of a summer fling.

7. "INTERMISSION: fLoWer"

"INTERMISSION: fLoWer" is one of the shorter songs on the album. The song provides a slow guitar melody, and it combines a Pakistani folk sound with Urdu lyrics, Malik's father's native language. The song is a short five lines, with the English translation being:

Until the flower of this love has blossomed
This heart won’t be at peace
Give me your heart
Give me your heart
Give me your heart

8. "rEaR vIeW"

"rEaR vIeW" is the eighth song on "Mind of Mine," and another personal favorite of mine. Lyrically, the song reminds me of Coldplay with a slow pop beat. It focuses on the past and being present to help someone through hard times. The song is neither a happy or sad vibe, but somewhere relaxing in between.

9. "wRoNg (feat. Kehlani)"

"wRoNg" is the ninth song from Zayn's album and his only collaboration with popular contemporary R&B singer/songwriter, Kehlani. The song's vibe is somewhere between Justin Bieber circa 2015 and Drake circa every year. Kehlani talked about her collaboration with Zayn in a positive light - "He's just a vibe, he's really intelligent and he really knows what he wants to do".

10. "fOoL fOr YoU"

"fOoL fOr YoU," the tenth song from Mind of Mine, is a piano-driven song characterized as "an unexpectedly Beatles-esque pop ballad". Zayn said that the Beatles songs "In My Life" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" were part of the inspiration for making this song.

11. "BoRdErSz"

"BoRdErSz" is the eleventh song on the debut album. Its tone is slow and smooth with a very Robin Thicke sound, lyrically and musically. The song surrounds breaking down the walls put up for protection. Malik sings about letting go and being able to give all of oneself to another person.

12. "tRuTh"

"tRuTh," a mix of guitar and slow electronics, is the twelfth song on the album. When first listened to the song, it seemed connected and influenced by many artists. However, one that seems to stick out more than the others is Frank Ocean. The lyrics may not be so much Frank Ocean style, but the beat seems very influenced by him. Regardless, it is another smooth track perfected by Malik's voice.

13. "lUcOzAde"

"lUcOzAde," song number 13, is a mix of emotions (and on the top of my favorite songs). Lucozade is a popular sports energy drink originated in the United Kingdom, yet no one is sure if that's what the song title is connected to. Malik only mentions the title of this song once in the first line he sings. The song is like a better produced, thought out version of any song off of Justin Bieber's "Journals" album (sorry Biebs). Lyrically, the song provides a mix of emotions toward relationships and what seems to be a radical trip on any and all drugs. It spins in all directions and focuses on toxicity in passionate, headfirst love.

14. "TiO"

"TiO," the last song on the standard version of the album, has a similar vibe to "PILLOWTALK". In the song, "tio" stands for Take It Off (not uncle in Spanish like I initially thought). The song is another upbeat, sexy song. It's a smooth song without a lot of dramatic lyrical changes, but still showcases the many ranges of Zayn's voice.

Along with the first 14 songs, the deluxe edition of the album includes four more songs. "BLUE," another sweet piano-driven song about love. "BRIGHT," again, a similar sound to a Frank Ocean melody. "LIKE I WOULD," initially the third single off of the album and "SHE DOESN'T LOVE ME," a futuristic, 80s beat with sex driven lyrics.

So, is "Mind of Mine" the next album of the year? It does have potential and I will be replaying it for the next few weeks. Zayn's switch from group to solo was a smart choice by him and the people around him. One thing everyone can learn from his choice is this - if you want to become a solo artist just remember - sex sells. Also, being famous beforehand is probably a positive boost to your ratings.