Why Your Daily Work Matters To God

Why Your Daily Work Matters To God

We can find joy and purpose in our everyday tasks by hearing what Genesis has to say.

20
Why Your Daily Work Matters To God

The work that you are doing day in, day out matters. Do you hear me? It matters to God.

Once you understand God's purposes in the beginning, it all makes sense.

"Then God said, 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.' So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them." Genesis 1:26-27

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it." Genesis 2:15

When God created the world, He set an example for us to follow. He created out of love, with a desire to bring peace and order into the world. And He willingly shared His power with humans by putting Adam and Eve over the garden and all the animals. As humans made in His image, we have the high calling of continually creating, just as God did in the first six days. In Eden, the garden had to be cultivated into a beautiful place so that it did not deteriorate into a mess of weeds and overgrown bushes.

So He calls us to create! But what does this look like outside of Eden?

Today, our calling is to cultivate our communities in accordance with God's example. That means finding the talents and passions God has given you. Is it creating business deals? Is it helping people? What about writing or singing? Or serving food or answering phone calls? Staying home with the kids? Teaching yoga?

If it is part of responsibly enhancing creation just as the first people cultivated the garden, do it. Whatever it is, wherever God has placed you, try to find the joy in your work. Know that you are living out the call to bring God's presence and goodness into the world, and that brings glory and honor to His name.

The point is that when seemingly ordinary careers are dedicated to improving God’s created world, this is as much worship to God as singing hymns. But creating should never replace our desire to have a personal relationship with Jesus; rather, it goes hand-in-hand. Maybe you found what you are passionate about, but something seems missing. Without God continually strengthening us and working big things through the little things that we do, sometimes our life's work can lose meaning and purpose. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Of course we all have times when it is hard to get out of bed in the morning; those are the times when we really need this solid hope in Him.

I wanted to share this with all of you because it has dramatically impacted the way I see my daily work. It gives me joy and a fresh perspective to know that at the end of a tall stack of papers and tests I am glorifying God by working hard and doing my best at His calling for me.

So I want to challenge you: Do you live like your work matters to God and to the world?

Look at your talents and your passions. Find out what He is calling you to do with your life, whether it is teaching, cleaning, singing, sewing, serving food, researching, or helping. They are all meaningful and essential callings if they are developing some part of the world to make it more just, beneficial, kind, peaceful, or lovely. In short, seek to honor the Lord in every little task set before you.