Your Guide to Staying COVID Safe This Holiday Season

Now is not the time to loosen up on COVID safety measures.

9

The holidays are fully upon us, and I know we're all excited to have something to celebrate again. But while we're stuffing our faces with turkey and enjoying the company of family and friends, we need to keep the COVID-19 pandemic at the forefront of our minds. Coronavirus cases are surging in nearly every state in America, and 250,000 Americans have died from the disease since the start of the pandemic. In order to have safe and happy holidays, we need to do our absolute best to reduce the spread of the virus in the coming weeks. Here's your guide to staying safe during the holidays.

If Possible, Don't Travel

white throw pillow on gray sofa Photo by Anastasiia Chepinska on Unsplash

It might be tempting to visit family and friends for the holidays, but this year, try to stay home if possible. You'll feel much better traveling for a visit when it's safe to do so.

If You MUST Travel, Do So Safely

man in black jacket wearing white headphones Photo by Camila Perez on Unsplash

If possible, get tested before and after your trip, wear your mask at all times when in public, and bring hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes for extra backup.

Avoid Holiday Parties

person holding red and brown gift box infront of Christmas tree inside the room Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

I know we're all going through major pandemic fatigue, but don't give in to those urges for a dangerous event like a holiday party. Throw a small one at home for just yourself or the people you live with instead.

Do Your Shopping Online

woman wearing white crew-neck t-shirt on bed holding silver MacBook Photo by Charles Deluvio on Unsplash

A global pandemic doesn't mean we can't still give gifts, but it does mean we need to do so responsibly. Do your holiday shopping online and mail your gifts to your loved ones to limit the spread of the virus. Who wants to go to crowded stores anyway?

Keep Family Gatherings Small

rectangular brown wooden picnic table on the field Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash

If you're able to celebrate with family this year, try to stay within your own household. You can set up a Zoom call to celebrate with extended family while allowing everyone to stay safely at home.

Wear Your Mask and Social Distance

woman in black hijab and orange jacket Photo by Macau Photo Agency on Unsplash

The two best defenses we have for COVID at the moment. Social distance as much as possible, only go out when it's completely necessary. If you do need to go out, make sure you wear your mask at all times (including outside) to ensure the safety of those around you as well as yourself.