The Ultimate College Student's Guide To Secondhand Shopping

And how to know exactly what to look for...

86

Secondhand shopping is eco-friendly, budget-friendly, and provides an adventure in itself. Spending a summer's day at a local flea market, a thrift shop; or stumbling upon a tag sale, is always a day well spent. All shopping requires is creativity and enough patience to look through racks, piles, and shelves to find pieces that you never knew you were missing.

Books.

Whether you are looking for children's books, adult books, or activity books for a summer vacation, books are always a great secondhand buy. Not only do they never expire, but buying a classic, worn book is so rewarding. You may even get lucky and find that the owner loves a single author and is selling whole series of books. That is the definition of a jackpot.

Kitchenware.

Oftentimes, people will grow tired of the same set of plates and bowls. Buying a used dinnerware set is way cheaper than buying it new -- you may even luck out and find pieces of expensive china that fit into your own collection. Even buying novelty mugs secondhand is great because after a wash, they are as good as new for a cup of warm coffee.

Clothing.

A lot of people are very skeptical about buying clothing that is not new, and that is totally understandable. It is weird to think that the clothing that you are wearing was worn by someone else, whom you don't know at all. However, oftentimes, you can stumble upon clothing at a tag sale or market that still has the tags on. Even if it doesn't though, everyone has random clothing items that are worn once then work their way to the back of your closet. Always, check for obvious signs of wear like holes, stains, pilling of sweaters, or fraying edges. Being skeptical about what you buy is never a bad thing, just think of the pieces you can find! Buying used clothing is a cheap way to try out a style that you aren't quite sure you can pull off. Also, a great way to shop for Halloween costumes or ugly Christmas sweaters is to make your way to your nearest thrift shop and explore.

Picture frames.

This probably seems quite random, but think about it -- picture frames are great ways to add some style to your home. Also, picture frames aren't the type of item to get worn from being used, they just sit around. Chances are, you are buying a picture frame that is essentially like new. Even purchasing plain wooden frames to paint and decorate can serve as the basis for a great personalized DIY present. Not to mention, picking up artwork at tag sales is an easy way to decorate and you may find some valuable gems along the way.

Handbags.

Similar to clothing, buying a brand-new leather purse is an investment. Looking among used bags, wallets, wristlets, and backpacks provides an inexpensive way to treat yourself to a piece usually out of your budget. Even the excitement of finding high-end designer handbags that are barely used never gets old. Not to mention the surplus of Vera Bradley wallets and bags that you can find gently used -- and wash so they are practically brand new!

Accessories.

Buying scarves and belts new can easily get expensive. Have you ever had a belt that you have never worn because it just didn't have enough holes to fit you properly? A lot of people have! You can buy quality belts that are barely used for much cheaper than you can find a new belt. Even scarves can be run through the washer, or hand washed if they are delicate, and they can come out as good as new. You may even find beautiful, hand-knit scarves that someone has simply grown tired of!

DIY supplies.

If you are an avid DIY-er like myself, you know that buying supplies can get expensive. That is why buying basics like yarn, picture frames, lampshades, and even fabric at tag sales is amazing. Not only can you find inspiration in the past life of the item, but you can get a sense of different styles while rummaging through boxes of people's old things.

Overall, thrift shopping is a way to indulge yourself without breaking the bank. You never know what you will find, and by giving used objects a new life, you are stopping them from going into the garbage and being replaced by a new product. Just remember: always wash before you wear clothing, wash dishes before they are used. Don't forget to continue the cycle and donate or sell your used clothing and objects, because someone's trash is always someone else's treasure.