When You Get Your First Tattoo

When You Get Your First Tattoo

The most exciting and nerve-wrecking thing you'll ever do in your life.

178
When You Get Your First Tattoo
Angelica Padilla

On the first Friday the 13th of 2017, I decided to be the spontaneous wild child I've always been destined to be and got my first tattoo. I had been working two jobs all week and it was the first week of classes, so I was fairly stressed out and felt like I was overworking myself. But, I did great at work, loved my classes, found out a boy I liked actually liked me back and I got hired at my first stable, non-temporary job. I was ecstatic. The whole week I only kept myself sane by telling myself, "Remember that you're killin' it." So, when I got off work early that Friday and had some free time, I figured, how else would I celebrate a good survival week?

I was both excited and scared beyond belief, but I knew this was something I wanted to do. A million thoughts raced through my mind, and when you get yours, I'm sure you'll feel the same way. Here are some common thoughts, tips and feelings you'll most likely experience while getting your first tattoo. Don't worry, I promise regret isn't one of them.

1. Do I really want to do this?

Ah yes, doubt is such a mood killer. But, when you're thinking about getting something on your body permanently for the rest of your life, you do tend to think long and hard about whether or not this is a good idea. I decided this in a whopping two hours, so you can imagine the cold feet I got right before I lied down on the table. But, as long as it's meaningful to you and you like it, then go for it.

2. It costs how much?!

When I was thinking about how much it would cost, I assumed it was going to be no more than $75. I was blatantly wrong. The little sentence on my shoulder cost $120, not including a tip. But, I didn't complain. I've always been told that when it comes to tattoos, you get what you pay for. So, it's probably better to pay more and be pleased with the quality of the outcome, rather than go cheap and be disappointed.

3. Is going to hurt?

This was my biggest concern while waiting in the shop. I've heard mixed reviews on the pain scale, with people having different pain tolerances and depending on the places they got done. I was afraid it was going to be excruciating and I was going to cry. Luckily for me, my tattoo artist did a test run with the period on my back and said if the pain was really unbearable, I would just have a tattooed freckle on my back. No harm done. Once the needle hit my back, I was in shock. It didn't hurt NEARLY as bad as I anticipated. I would describe it more as irritating than painful. If you have experiences with cats, I would describe the feeling being close to a cat scratching at you. So, with that little confidence boost, I was absolutely sure that I wanted to go through with it.

4. Holy hell, it's happening!

Once they start going in on it, the excitement stays and all you can think is "I'm really doing it!" At this point, there is no turning back, unless you want an odd partial tattoo that you'd have to explain to everybody. I will admit that at some points, he did have to go over the same spot a little more, and that's when it was really irritating and a bit painful. But, it's a relief once the needle takes a break from your skin.

5. Let's see it!

Once it's all done, you're welcome to look at it in a mirror or just look at it if it's in a spot you look head on at. I didn't touch it since the ink was fresh and I didn't want to infect it with any bacteria that might've been on my hands. But, I couldn't believe that it was actually there. I had fallen in love with it.

I have yet to get used to the fact that it's going to be with me for the rest of my life. But, since I can't quite see most of it when I look back at it, I don't think it's going to be an issue. I'm absolutely in love with my tattoo and it makes me excited and prepared for the bigger piece I have in mind. Once you get yours, show it off to everyone, tell the back story behind it, appreciate it, and know that this tattoo that was once an idea is now a permanent part of you, and I think that's the most exciting part.