You're Worth More Than Your Facebook Likes

Since we don't have an approval score dictating our potential in society, what does anyone's opinions truly matter anyway?

53
123RF

I, myself, am guilty of caring entirely too much about social media. It has honestly become a habit to click on the app constantly without even thinking about it. I've even been guilty of opening up the app while I had Facebook opened on my computer as well. I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of social media because that is a whole other can of worms in itself, but it is nearly impossible to not be concerned about the self-worth problems that social media can cause.

I would like to know when the value of a person or their self esteem began to correlate with how many likes you received on a social media post or picture. Perhaps this is me convincing myself, but either way whether I can take my own advice or not, this can be deemed true. Unfortunately no matter how amazing what you're sharing may be, there is always going to be someone who won't like it just because it's you. "H8rs gonna h8" amirite? I always remark that the ability to like something is unlimited, you are never going to run out of likes, so stop being so stingy!!! Some of the greatest posts I've ever seen have not received the credit they deserved.

Recently I watched an episode of the show "Black Mirror" named "Nosedive". In this episode every human hate an actual rating which was however many stars out of five. Each person had a feed, similar to facebook or instagram. People would send them however many stars they wanted to, one out of five. You can even do this to people when you saw them in person. The better the rating you had, the more you could actually do in this society. Higher rated people were given more benefits such as discounts or the ability to live in super fancy neighborhoods. Lower rated people were limited to where they could go or what they could buy. The main character was so obsessed with improving her rating so she could buy a house in a fancy neighborhood, but her plans backfired and her rating ultimately plummeted, hence the title "Nosedive". Watching this episode truly perplexed me. I realted the theme of this show to how obsessed people were with likes and approvals online. What if our lives truly did depend on virtual ratings?

You are important. No one should even feel self conscious of how many people virtually approved of them at the moment. I can surely attest to this idea being easier said than done, but I challenge everyone to not hesitate before posting on something on Facebook. It doesn't matter how anyone responds, it's your Facebook! Once you learn to do things for your own approval without anyone else in mind that's when life really happens. Since we don't have an approval score dictating our potential in society, what does anyone's opinions truly matter anyways?