How To Change The World When Nobody Knows Your Name
Politics

To Make Change, You Don't Have To Be Well Known, You Just Have To Be Determined

Alexandria looked around her hometown and realized minorities are becoming the majority, but it wouldn't help her because no one was listening to them. So that was what she based her campaign on.

89

Many tabloids, press, and media outlets are not saying her name. Who is she you may ask? Her name is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she is a 28-year-old Hispanic American from the Bronx New York. Now I know your next question is "Why is she so special?" Alexandria is special because she just beat a 10-term representative from New York's 14th congressional district. She did this with no corporate money, big money PAC's, or lobbyists. Her whole campaign is funded by people donating money like you and me.

This is huge because almost every political campaign now in days is run by big corporations or lobbyists. What that means is that these people will give money to the candidate that is running in hopes that the candidate when elected, will vote in favor of things that benefit said corporation. If you think about it, this is a terrible way to have our so-called elected officials run offices. Because the candidate can say that when they are elected they will do so many things, but then when they win they can turn around and focus on only what their big donors want.

Now you already know that Alexandria did not use big money to fund her campaign, but how did she win? I'd say the old fashion way. She started knocking on doors, talking to people on the train stations, talking to small business owners, etc. Alexandria looked around her hometown and realized minorities are becoming the majority, but it wouldn't help her because no one was listening to them. So that was what she based her campaign on. Bringing change to the people that need it most.

Alexandria is like you and me. She wants to see changes made in her city, state, and country. She, like many of us, is tired of seeing the same old people sitting in positions where they could make changes, but don't. The political world is run by old fashion men. Not many women make it in. I believe she is the perfect example of change. All of us can argue, mope, and get annoyed about how our country is being run. But what are we doing to change it? Take her story and use it as fuel for yourself.

No one at all expected Alexandria to make it. Polls a few weeks prior showed her trailing behind on the campaign. But she never lost hope. Her determination to want to be the change drove her to win. If she can do it so can you. Join a campaign, start your own, vote, call your elected officials, protest, etc. Don't just watch it all happen. Be the change you want to see.