As A Black Woman, I Decided How To Deal With Racism

As A Black Woman, I Decided At A Young Age How To Deal With Racism

I chose to love who I am and use ignorance as a chance to educate.

39

Diversity: a word that describes many things. Merriam-Webster says diversity is "being composed of differing elements."

Diverse is something that many people are, but only few embrace.

I embrace who I am and want to help others love who they are. I believe I have a range of diverse, culture-rich experiences to contribute to my community. I was raised in Buffalo, Missouri which is a predominantly white community, so growing up black was hard. I was taunted, put down, and called names. As a child, I was constantly reminded I looked different from everyone else.

One specific moment I remember from my childhood was from a bus ride to school.

A high school student told me where I was sitting on the bus wasn't allowed and that I needed to move because I was black. From a young age, I decided not to shy away from the odd looks or unkind statements. The hurtful words don't end with age, they actually continue and multiply. To this day I still have people calling me names because they think its funny or "Oh, she is cool, it won't matter if I say something like that."

Yes, It does matter.

It may not affect me as much anymore, but there are people who are greatly offended and hurt by these unkind words because they don't see the N-word as a joke or they don't find it humorous when you threaten to call ICE because they are of Mexican descent. Daily, I hear people use slurs for African Americans, Chinese Americans, people of the LGBTQ+ community and to many more groups of people. After my experience on the bus, I chose to love who I am, help others love and accept who they are and to use ignorance as a chance to educate. I want people to learn and to know that diversity is a good thing and should be welcomed and appreciated.

The first prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, said the phrase "unity in diversity."

This quote speaks wonders for what diversity truly stands for. This may sound insane, but I am grateful I grew up in a small town and honestly, thankful for the experience on the bus as a child because it forced me to see that I love who I am and no one can take that away from me.

I am grateful I have had teachers and staff who love me for who I am and for also helping me establish and spread that love with others.

I want to help celebrate different cultures while also helping others thrive and connect with the people they are creating a community with. Alongside helping them find themselves, I also learn a lot about myself. All people should be loved and celebrated no matter the culturally and diverse backgrounds.