You Would Have Been 21

You Would Have Been 21

God needed another guardian angel.

18
You Would Have Been 21
Paige Kubica

Dear Cory,

Where do I even begin? There is so much to say, and I cannot even fathom the words that would truly do any of it justice -- that would do you justice. I hope that I can Cory, I truly hope I can capture the essence of your spirit and the unbelievable amount of love so clearly shown by those around you.

You left so suddenly, I couldn't say goodbye and neither could a lot of those that kept you so close to our hearts. It wasn't fair, it wasn't fair at all for God to take away one of the most precious people. You made this world seem so bright when there is so much evil making it so dark.

I remember during your service, the pastor thought the perfect word to describe your character was "meek". Wow, I must have had a very misconstrued definition of the term because I automatically associated it with a negative connotation. But as the pastor explained what it meant to be meek, what it meant to have the most humble form of humility, it became clear. I thought "damn, this pastor nailed it" because that was exactly who you were -- humble and always doing the right thing without expecting anything in return. You were just that good guy that would do anything for anybody, without question. "That good guy," it just rings so true -- that good guy who made sure everyone got home safe if they were drinking. That good guy who overcame so many struggles to still keep kickin' and come out on top. That good guy who made everyone laugh and smile -- that good guy to touch the hearts of everyone around him.

Cory, you were that good guy that would have made a fine police officer. I would have been proud to say you protect my city, I only wish that you had the chance.

You would have made such a brave policeman, but also a compassionate father, a genuine friend, and you would continue to be a role model to your younger siblings.

I just simply cannot believe that you're gone, and I don't want to. When we were young, I remember planning the future. I remember all of us neighborhood kids were convinced we would stay friends forever. We would find our lives, marry, and move into the same neighborhood so our children could all be best friends like all of us were. So our kids could experience the same amazing joys that we did -- late night In-and-Out, driveway bonfires, and mini kickball games in the cul-de-sac.

I remember playing house, playing skateboarding video games, jumping on the trampoline, and I definitely remember waking up to your mom making pancakes and sausage on a Saturday morning.

It wasn't just the good times though that we experienced -- there were so many times where we saw the worst. Sometimes life takes a turn for the worst, but that is what made us stronger -- what made us all love each other. But then this. I knew life was supposed to throw us some difficult challenges, but not this.

Over the past few years, since you've passed, it hasn't necessarily gotten easier but I've grown stronger, I think we all have. I've had to accept God's fate in this decision, even though I might not agree. But as of recently, I think God has blessed me, in the smallest way possible but in the biggest way in my heart. Oddly enough, my commute to work drives past your cross -- every morning and every evening. The most beautiful times of the day, sunrise and sunset, I can see your cross glistening in the sunlight and I just wish everything was different. I wish you were here, and I would give so much for that to be a possibility.

You would have been 21. A time of celebration, a time where as the young, we truly indulge in the crazy adventures of the world. You would have been 21 -- an age where adventure is calling your name, you find yourself, love is addicting, and happiness is top priority. I wish you were here with all of us, the neighborhood kids, your friends, and family. I wish you could see how much people loved you, cared for you, and miss you so dearly now. You were a friend people should've had for life, and you will be in spirit.

But I know, I know God needs the strongest, most valiant of warriors. I truly believe you have a higher purpose Cory, and I know you are probably some bad ass guardian angel -- I just hope I am lucky enough for you to watch over me.

I love you Cory, you will forever remain in my heart. As I continue to think about you, I know that you are truly in a better place, I hope that we meet again.

Best,

That neighborhood kid with the pool