So You Want To Have That 'Kardashian Glow'?

There are might be a few risks that come along with trying to achieve their signature tan skin.

86
Cosmopolitan Kardashian Family

Whether you wanted it to happen or not, the Kardashians have became one of the most prominent families in the country, perhaps even the in world. With a reality show going on 12 seasons, all of the family members also have various endeavors in the fashion, beauty, and even technological fields, making their influence very widespread. But with all their power many have argued they aren't exactly the kinds of idols that young girls should look up to. With Kim's first major claim to fame being a sex tape, and youngest daughter Kylie dating someone 7 years older than her starting at the age of 17 as well as having various claims of her getting plastic surgery at a young age it is understandable that many parents don't promote the influence of the family on impressionable young women. But regardless of their questionable reputations, it's hard to deny that the Kardashians are an attractive family. That is the main reason their beauty products are so popular, many girls hope to use them to look just a little bit like any of the 5 girls.

Another common trend amongst the Kardashian girls is tan skin. Whether this is from the California sun, using tanning booths, or natural (Kim, Khloe, and Kourtney are Armenian on their father's side), their sun kissed skin is enviable for most girls. The Kardashians have also tried to capitalize on this by having a line of tanning lotions and products called Kardashian Glow, which is essentially relying on the power of their name and how they are known for their glowing skin. For that reason it wouldn't be crazy to say that there are probably many young girls who either sun bathe or use tanning beds frequently to also achieve a nice color in the hopes to resemble these beautiful celebrities.

But there is an obvious danger to promoting tan skin like this, which is the chance of skin cancer. While watching Keeping up with the Kardashians I was alarmed when Khloe mentioned somewhat off hand that she had had multiple skin cancer scares. This wasn't something I was aware of. As a girl who has spent many summers laying out, and a few trips to the tanning bed to try to achieve the tan of celebrities like the Kardashians, it would have been nice to know this bit of information. Many people are aware of the risk of skin cancer but still think that it won't happen to them. But to hear that it happened to such a prominent celebrity would likely have a huge impact on people to think twice about the importance of skin care and protection and that there isn't just a magical way to avoid the threat, no matter how rich and famous you are.

Lately, Khloe has been getting the message out there about the importance of being aware of your skin and taking care of your health, as well her own experience with issues with moles and removals. I think it's great that she decided to open up to fans on her app about her issues but I think she could definitely be doing a lot more to get this message out there. It would be nice if she did more interviews on the subject to make sure a large variety of people are aware of the fact that skin cancer is a serious issue that can affect anyone. I personally was surprised that Khloe having these issues wasn't a bigger deal, but I just hope that this article can help raise a bit of awareness about the dangers of getting too much sun. It's important to understand that even though we may want to look like the people we watch on TV, we have to keep in mind that anyone can be susceptible to skin cancer and the importance of protecting ourselves with sunscreen and limiting our time in direct sunlight. It should also be noted that the Kardashians frequently use spray tanning methods to achieve their glow, which is a nice alternative to tanning beds and the dangers of UV rays.