Everyone Should Take More Risks, And Here's Why
Life Stages

This is the story of how a haircut changed my life, and helped me gain confidence and grow friendships.

472
mackenzienagel

In February of this year, I decided to get bangs. And when it comes to a woman's hair, that is a very big risk. Generally, at least some prior deliberation would go into a decision like this, but that, however, was not the case for me. I randomly decided that day, while sitting in the salon chair, that I would change my hair and, unknowingly, change my life forever.

To start off, it should be known that I've never really been a "spur-of-the-moment" kind of person, due to fear of possible repercussions. A lack of self-confidence barricaded my pathway to success - taking a risk meant failing, and I didn't believe in myself enough to face defeat. Thus, I stayed put in my comfort zone and chose not to challenge myself. It wasn't until that fateful day in February that I realized the benefits of spontaneity and risk-taking, and how it could help improve my life.

So at this point, the hair was gone and swept up into the trash — there was no turning back now. I had no choice but to be confident with this seemingly drastic decision. Terrified, I stepped out into the world, not knowing how people would react. Luckily, the response was overwhelmingly positive (with the exception of my mother, who thought I looked prettier without bangs... thanks Mom). Hearing what my friends had to say about my new look gave me a newfound confidence that I hadn't felt in years. I quickly learned that this feeling of confidence not only made me happier and healthier but also more driven to challenge myself and become better at whatever I was doing. My insecurities were fading away, all because of a simple haircut.

As time goes on, I find myself taking more and more risks, and absolutely loving every second of it. Of course, not everything always has a positive outcome, but I end up learning so much about myself through my failures. My self-confidence grows through testing my limits because I'm becoming more self-aware and recognizing my successes. I am beginning to get more comfortable with my strengths, as well as more accepting of my weaknesses, so I can improve upon them. Not to mention, spontaneity and risk-taking have also improved relationships in my life. Personal challenges are great for bettering your individual self, but taking on risks with friends helps further develop your shared bond. If it weren't for certain moments of spontaneity or getting through difficult challenges together, I wouldn't be as close with some of my friends as I am now.

It sounds silly, but if it weren't for that haircut, I wouldn't have tried out for my college dance team. After having that single positive outcome, I continually found myself thinking hey, what if I tried doing this? And thus, the ripple effect commenced. Before, I wasn't planning on trying out for the dance team because I was worried I wouldn't make it, so I thought it would be best to just avoid it completely and not even try. But as I began practicing risk-taking, I slowly gained the courage and confidence to try out — and I made it. These risks, even the most minute ones, have taught me a great deal about myself and transformed the way I live my life. When you take risks, your outlook on life changes.

You begin to see doors opening that would've never been a possibility before, and your confidence will flourish with your new driven mindset. Instead of cowering in fear from a challenge, you see it as an opportunity to grow. I am definitely not the same person that I was eight months ago, and because of risk-taking, I have become more comfortable and confident with who I am. I highly recommend challenging yourself to take a risk every day, even if it's as small as trying out a different shade of lipstick or talking to a new person. You will see changes in yourself, and you will love the person you become, I guarantee it.