To Rush Or Not To Rush

To Rush Or Not To Rush

It could possibly be one of the best decisions you make in your college career.

17
To Rush Or Not To Rush
Alpha Phi Delta

Now before I start this article I'm going to make this clear not all fraternities guys are mindless idiots who like to drink themselves into a coma and talk about their body count. It's actually not like that from my experience. See while fraternities do get a bad rep from the media, it's the same media that fails to cover all the good that fraternities do for their community. However, this article isn't about that.

First of all, I know what you're wondering, what is "rush"? Well, my friend, rush is a period of time that can range from about 3-4 weeks (depending on the school you go to) where you get to find out what the local fraternities on campus are about and what their brothers are like. See it's a time of feeling out where you can see if you fit in well with them. What exactly do you do during rush? See since the point of this is getting to meet new people the brothers of said fraternity you're rushing host events a few examples of these events may include informationals, mixers, parties and sometimes it can be as simple as poker night. As you can see most of these events are social events and they're that way for a reason. It kinda takes you out of your comfort zone if you're a shyer person and it makes you socialize and grow which is a good thing in the grander scheme of things.

See now when I was a freshman entering college I thought all fraternity guys were as I said before "mindless idiots who like to drink themselves into a coma and talk about their body count" and yes while some fraternities guys are like that it should be the blanket statement used to define what a "fraternity guy" is. In fact, there isn't a blanket term that can be used to describe us cause we're all unique individuals who just like helping our communities and having a good time doing. What rushing a fraternity and ultimately joining a fraternity does for you is it gives you life long friends, experiences and it can even help you in the toughest of times. People fail to realize one of the biggest reasons fraternities exist is to simply to network. It's a great tool if used correctly that can help you further yourself both personally (and hey theres nothing better than personal growth) and career wise as well. So go out there this semester and check out the fraternities on your campus, it could possibly be one of the best decisions you make in your college career. I can gladly say that it was for me.