You: A Poem

You: A Poem

Holding a black velvet box in one hand / Containing every girl’s dream
312

Six years ago today,
With sand between our toes
And sunburns on our cheeks,
You took my hands in yours—
Warm against cold,
Eyes glazed over,
Brown and hazel,
Dazing into days to come.
Butterflies danced in my stomach.
My heart beat as fast as hummingbird’s wings,
Reminding me to breathe
In, out, in, out.
Pulled me closer
Tilted heads
Lips drawed nearer
Blood drained.
One against the other

Today,
I see you on one knee
With sand in our shoes
And a sunset in the distance,
Holding a black velvet box in one hand
Containing every girl’s dream,
But knowing this one contains mine.
Eyes glazed over
Brown and hazel
Staring into moments passed
Butterflies ceased years ago
My heart no more
Beats as two now
Mine and yours
Together

Cover Image Credit: Ben White

11 Things 20-Year-Olds Who Look 12 Are Tired Of Hearing

No, I don't need a kids' menu, thank you very much.
218386

I used to just laugh it off when someone thought I was 12 years old back when I was in high school, but now that I am three years deep into college getting ready to graduate, I don’t laugh anymore. If you are in the same situation as me looking like a child trying to get into a bar/club and the bouncer is questioning if your ID is fake, please read on — you may relate very much. Here are 11 things 20+ year-olds who look 12 are tired of hearing:

1. I didn’t know they let 12-year-olds work here.

Nope. They don’t.

2. What school do you go to?

Me: Florida State.

Person: University?!

3. *Tries to get a sample at Target* Is your parent nearby?

Let me FaceTime my mom really quick and ask her permission for this protein bar sample.

SEE ALSO: 11 Things 20-Year-Olds Who Look 12 Are Tired Of Saying

4. *Server at a restaurant* Here you go, sweetie. What can I get you, darling? Hi, honey, how are you?

You are no more than three years older than me, there is no need for "sweetie."

5. It’s your birthday? Happy Birthday! How old now, fourteen/fifteen?

6. You look so much older when you wear makeup.

Is that supposed to be a compliment?

7. Wow, you're how old? You look like you are twelve.

Have you seen a twelve-year-old lately?

8. You probably just look young because you're short.

9. *Tries to flirt with a guy* You're a little too young for me I think.

I'm your age. Maybe even older.

10. Are you old enough to see this movie? Can I see your ID please?

11. You're going to be so thankful when you are in your 50's.

So I've been told. Hopefully, it's worth it.