You Make Me Begin

You Make Me Begin

"Now Let's Get On With Our Lives."

36
You Make Me Begin
globetrottingstiletto

The sun is beating down as we get out of the car at the park grounds. My heart sinks immediately when I fully lay my eyes on the scenery. The beauty of the disaster, that was here not so long ago, crashes all around me. Although there are cherry blossom petals everywhere, I still can’t help but feel despair by the look of the ruins. The memorial is the only thing that is left from the destructive bombs besides the scars that are left in the hearts of the country’s people. The present meets the heartbreaking past.

I am just rendered speechless from it all. I am not even able to take a single picture yet because of the awe that I am left in.

As I come back to from standing there in wonderment, I finally notice that Arienne is no longer by my side. She hasn’t been near me the entire time. My heart begins to quicken and I panic a little. Had she chosen to leave me while I was distracted? It would be fitting to leave me among such beautiful destruction, but I still didn’t want her to go so soon.

I look around for her and it takes me a few scans to finally lay eyes upon her back. My body relaxes a little bit; she hasn’t left me…yet.

Arienne is looking at the memorial with her head tilted up, peering at the dome’s beams. She seems to have been in the position for a while. Even from a distance I could see the tension in her body but I know she would not leave that spot for a little longer because just like me, she was enamored by the sights. The wind is blowing her dark locks and her knee length cardigan. And despite all that tension that was in her body, she was a beauty to behold.

I am captivated by her.

My hands reach for the camera that is hanging around my neck. This would be the first and only picture of this day.

And after I capture the moment, she turns to me and smiles. Her hand comes up to wave at me, a wave of good-bye. This was the moment I was waiting for. I wave back at her and turn to walk away. I don’t watch where she walks to or if she decides to leave right then and there. It isn’t because I would break down, but because I knew that this moment together was not the last. It was better to part the way we did: mutual and friendly.

A YEAR AND A HALF LATER

I’m looking up at the window pane that has his name in large black letters. A smile creeps on my face, knowing that was not his choice. He probably battled the host of the gallery to have his name put up in lights. It was his lifelong dream to have his name, Lance Axigill-Park, put up high and bright in lights. I had told him it was unlikely for a photographer but to do what he could to achieve that goal.

A breeze picks up as I am glancing at this name still and I wrap my cardigan closer to me. I’m not sure why I was still standing outside in cold. What was I worried about? What could possibly go wrong if I stepped inside of the gallery? It wasn’t like we ended our relationship on a bad note. We had even spoken a couple of times since then; granted most dealt with mail and about this event, but we still spoke. He specifically had spoken to me over the phone about his exhibit that I was having trouble walking inside.

“God, get over it, Arienne. Walk your ass in and go wish him luck,” I muttered to myself.

But I still stood there waiting. Heart beating, hands sweating.

I then wiped my hands down my jeans, straightened my spine, and pulled the door open. Warm air greeted me with a sweet caress and I welcomed it. I could feel my then chilled bones start to melt. There was a sweet smell of cinnamon in the air; a scent that reminded me very much of Lance. He always smelled of cinnamon and coffee, a mixture that I always associated with creativity and home. Lance had always said that coffee was what fueled him to find a muse and that cinnamon relaxed him enough to delve into his mind for that muse. I had grown to love the smell and even after our split, I burned a cinnamon candle when I wrote; I was itching to write now.

As I entered the exhibit even more, my eyes wondered around the room, looking at all that was on display and what was to be offered. There were some of his photographs, most of which were landscapes like the Nile River, the Grand Canyon, and of the rice fields in Vietnam. I had seen most of his photos when we were together, but these were images that were new to me. He must have taken them in the past year. And alongside all of his photos were sculptors, paintings, and other pieces of art that showcased the place they represented. I knew these were not his because he didn’t have much of a knack for another media. When I looked closer to the names of the other pieces, I found that they were names of some of his friends.

It was a beautiful set up and I felt pride for him grow in my chest. He had done such a wonderful job with all of this and the turnout of people was amazing. I wanted to congratulate him terribly, but I could not find him. I knew that were a lot of people in this room but his dark head was not among them. It did seem that there was a lot of filtration of these art seekers and I began to move around the room even more to see where they were going. I eventually found that they were heading to a back part of the gallery; a back room that I did not know about. He had only mentioned that there was one room to be shown off. I then began to make my way to the back, hoping to find what was catching people’s eyes, as well as to find him.

As I was getting closer to the back room, I noticed that were a lot of people staring at me. I then began to get nervous, believing that I had looked a mess. It was possible that I had a large stain on my shirt or that my hair was nothing but fly aways and looked like a nest. I ran my hands over my head to smooth anything down and I looked down to see that I was stain free. Looks were still coming my way as I was entering the last part of the hallways to the back, but then they ceased some when I finally entered the room.

I immediately noticed the change in smell; it now smelled of coffee. I wanted a cup of it desperately. Another drastic change of the atmosphere was that the lights were out. The room was illuminated by hundreds of fairy light strings. They hung from the ceiling, lined the walls, and encircled some of the photographs. Upon further investigation, I saw that were strings that had pictures at the end of them. Pictures of familiar landscapes and monuments, all in black and white. But there were also pictures of Lance among them and…

A gasp escaped my lips, there are photos of me too. Some of me with Lance, some standing in front of the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben, others are candid. Not only are they hanging from the ceiling but they are some on the walls and some were on large pedestals. They were all over the room, each one evoking a different memory.

My heart filled with joy yet sadness. These were precious memories that we had made together and he was sharing them with the world. He was sharing our love and our adventures together. And it wasn’t like I minded, it was just a reminder of what we had together and how right everything had felt during our high times.

I walked up to a particular photo that took me back to one of our high times together. It was a fond morning in April while we were in Paris. It was the morning after a passionate night of love making and the picture was of me sitting in a wooden desk chair at the writing desk in our room. My body was basically bare except for the sheet that was slightly wrapped around me. I was looking out of the window, smoke hanging in the air around me while I puffed on a cigarette. The hand holding the cigarette was sitting bent up in the air on the arm of the chair while my head slightly rested against the same hand. It was a very cliché picture to take while in Paris, but it captured me -a fluent mess- in a beautiful moment.

And I only remembered this picture being taken because after Lance took the shot, I had heard him sigh in ecstasy which caused me to turn and face him. I then walked over to him and we proceeded to spend the rest of the morning having sweet and slow sex.

I snapped back from the memory and walked away from the pedestal. My body was now riddled with gooseflesh. More memories tried to flood my mind, causing me to feel unsettled and making me want to find Lance even more.

But when I turned around completely, I was faced with the direct back wall and I could feel my heart grip. Blown up on the wall, framed in fairy lights, was a picture of woman standing and looking up at a ruined domed building. A sense of familiarity washed over me but I could not pinpoint where I had seen the structure before. I walked closer to it and realized exactly who this woman was, where it was taken, and what had happened on that day.

It was me looking at the Hiroshima Dome Memorial on the last day we had been together. My hair and cardigan were blowing in the wind to the right. My head was tilted back; I remember being in awe of the place. But I didn’t remember him taking this picture like I did with all of the others.

In the bottom corner was Kurt Vonnegut’s famous line in bold white letters: So It Goes.

“Do you like it?” a familiar rough voice asks.

I jump when I see a mutual friend of mine and Lance’s.

“Horace!” I hug him, “I very much love the exhibit. He did an amazing job.”

Horace smiles. “It’s his masterpiece, this back room I mean. It took him months to get it all just right but it has turned into something truly beautiful.”

“I’m surprised he put so many pictures of our life together in it. Not that I don’t mind but…” I didn’t know how to finish that sentence.

“Arienne, you were always his muse.”

I was then struck a little speechless and before I could try to mutter a word, my eyes laid on Lance. My heart began to quicken and my palms were slowly starting to sweat. I didn’t know what to do. Do I approach him like I planned? Or just stand there and see if he approached? There were people that were still staring at me, including Horace; I couldn’t handle it. Lance was still looking at me for what I am sure was only seconds but felt like years.

I then turned on my heel to walk out of the back room and quickened my pace when I got to the front room. I then promptly exited at a greater speed and burst outside. The cold air slammed into lungs, that I know realized were heaving, but I welcomed the bitterness. My mouth opened to suck in more air as I turned to walk down the sidewalk. I had no real destination in mind, but I needed to get away from this building.

It had begun to snow and I was cursing myself for not having the foresight to bring a jacket to go over this cardigan. But for now I was just going to wrap my arms around me even tighter and continue on this aimless walk.

Why did I leave? Why did the pressure of actually seeing him make me act so rash? He had never caused me to feel uneasy like I did in that moment. Lance had always given me the sense of comfort and love. But when I had seen him after so long, my mind and heart could not handle it. It wasn’t because of the terms we had left on; maybe it was because in that moment I realized how much I did still love him.

But could that really be it, though? Had I felt like that when we last saw each other in Hiroshima?

“I just don’t think we should stay together after we go see this monument,” I stated while packing the rest of my bags.

The Hiroshima Memorial Dome was our last stop in Japan and I knew he was going to get some great shots there. But I just couldn’t fathom the thought of going anywhere else here with him…or anywhere with him. Our lives were no longer parallel to one another and we both saw it. It was a little heartbreaking to think of us parting ways and ending the relationship, but we knew it was best. We had spent many days in Japan talking about how our lives were going in other ways, realizing that we no longer could pursue our careers together, and knowing that what we had was one for the books. There were some fights to keep it whole but in the end, it was just better this way.

Lance then looked at me from his computer, where he was editing some of the pictures he had taken of the cherry blossoms earlier in the week. A small frown was on his face and I felt the small twang of “we shouldn’t do this.” But I knew better, this had to happen.

“That’s fine with me, Ari,” he sighed sweetly. He looked back down at his computer.

I walked over to him and laid my hands on his shoulders to get his attention. His black hair shifts down into his eyes some as he looks back up to look into my eyes. The dark green irises that I had always adored bore into, shaking my soul a little; reminding me that I would always write my male characters with those wonderful eyes that I had loved. A smile played on his lips and I felt his arms embrace me. We both sighed as I laid my head on his shoulder. I could feel the love and heartbreak in his body as well as mine. He knew just as well as I did that the time was getting closer and closer to the end.

After what felt like hours, Lance let go of me and stood up to put his laptop away. I walked away from where he was sitting and zipped up my last bag. We both then headed for the door to go wait for our cab outside. But when I met him at the door, he turned to look at me and took my face in his hands. Adoration and acceptance were in his eyes, which only made my heart flutter a tad. He then bent down and lightly placed his lips on mine. I leaned up into the kiss, knowing that it was going to be the last, and then it was over.

He separated our lips but kept a hold of my face. I was afraid he was going to say we needed to fight for this but instead he said, “I love you, Ari. Now let’s get on with our lives.” With that he let go and we exited the room we had been staying; the last room we would ever stay together in.

That memory reminded me that I still did very much love Lance. It had pained me to get into the cab after I waved farewell to him at the park. Tears had welled in my eyes when heading to the airport; knowing that I was leaving my best friend and the man that I had adored for so long behind me. Even though we needed to be separated from one another to get what we needed to be successful in life, it was hard to start a new life without someone I had grown so attached to.

I wiped a few tears from eyes, unsure if they were from the snow getting in my eyes or the thought of Lance. I wasn’t that far from the exhibit but I was far enough to no longer feel like I was panicking. My feet stopped under me and stood embracing the last little remnants I still had running through my head about our last day. And as I stood there in the middle of sidewalk, I swear I could hear my name being called behind me. I briefly turned my head and saw a tall lanky figure coming my way. The gate of the person looked familiar and hearing them call my name made me uneasy.

Then the wind picked up, blowing me in the face, and a well-known smell hit me hard.

Coffee and cinnamon.

My eyes closed and I took in as much as I could of the smell before it left. It was probably just coming from the gallery that was down the street, not from the person. But the smell kept getting stronger.

“Ari…”

I snap my eyes open and there he was.

“Lance…” I whisper.

“Are you crazy? It’s snowing like hell out here.”

I finally notice that it is no longer a light snow falling from the sky but it was now turning into a downpour. I was cursing myself even more now for not having brought a coat.

I respond with a smirk and say, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

His eyebrow quirks and ignores that comment. “Do you want this?” He is holding out a cup of coffee, steam coming off the top.

My hand reaches for it, wanting the warmth in my hands and in my body. “Thank you…”

“Two creams, no sugar.”

Now it is time for me to raise my own eyebrow. “You remembered,” I say while taking a blissful sip.

His mouth lifts in a smile that used to make my heart sink. Even now I can feel it drop a little.

“How could I forget? Five years of making coffee together every morning, I observed some things,” he says while taking a casual sip from his own cup.

I smile at him, unsure of what to say. Instead, I focus on my coffee and try to keep my teeth from chattering. I wasn’t very happy about standing out in the cold since I was an idiot and didn’t bring a jacket. But I couldn’t bring myself to just walk away from Lance now. I had wanted to speak to him so badly before and now I had the chance to do so. Except words were not my forte at the moment. For the third time this evening, I start kicking myself.

Lance then moves a bit and I worry that he is about to take off. Instead I see that he is shifting to take off his own coat. The air around him fills with the scent of cinnamon. Now with his jacket off, he places it around my shoulders and I take in not only the warmth he has given me but the wonderful smell of him. It was comforting and felt like home.

“Thank you, you didn’t have to do that,” I say, seeing now that he was left standing in the snow with just a black cable knit sweater to keep him warm.

He only rolls his eyes in response. I know what that means; I need to just take the gesture without a fight. A look I grew accustomed to over the years of dating him and him doing casual things like that all of the time. It took a while to get used to because I was used to having to fight to look not weak in front of my man but I realized that he was being generous and genuine. Why did I need to worry about a silly thing like that?

We stood for a little longer in silence, sipping our coffees. I was starting to get uneasy and wanted to blurt out how I felt about the gallery and how much I really wanted to get the fuck out of the cold. But I stood there like a do-do bird, stewing in all the uncomfortable feelings.

Fuck it, I’m just going to do it. I can’t wait for him to say anything any longer, I thought to myself.

“Your exhibit was beautiful,” I finally say.

A small amount of blush appears on his cheeks. “Thank you. It took quite some time to get together but I’m glad it came out as well as it did.”

“That’s what Horace told me, as well as something else.” I look away now. How could I just bring up that Lance thought me as his muse?

“What else did he say?” Lance was starting to fidget, either from the cold or from possibly knowing what Horace had said.

My eyes shift down to look at my hands. “That you saw me as your muse.”

Silence.

I do not look up to see his reaction. Once upon a time I could have been so confrontational with him and look him straight in the eye without worry of his reaction. Now, now there has been too much time to have passed between us for me to be able to do that. It wasn’t that I feared what he thought or would say, I was just uncomfortable by the whole idea. We weren’t the same people as we were in Japan or even in Paris. We had grown in the ways we knew we would without one another. But I slightly wished we had grown together so I could embrace this idea of being his muse so much better.

Within a moment I was standing still, looking down at my cup and hand, and then in the next my face was in his hand, looking up at his face.

“Ari, you will always be my muse. You gave me beautiful pieces of your life to capture for all eternity and for people to witness and envy. You were nothing but a free and happy spirit in each and every picture in there. I know we shared those moments to create that masterpiece, but without you, none of that could have ever happened. Ari, you are my masterpiece, my muse, and the girl that my heart and my mind will always be thankful for.”

Tears began to well in my eyes. Why I was about to cry, I don’t know? Yeah his words were very touching, but they were exactly how I felt about him. Without him, I would not be where I was in my life or be as successful as I had ever hoped.

I felt a tear leak down my cheek but then his thumb brushed it away. “And I’ll always love you, Arienne. No matter if we never see each other again after this day or continue in life together once more, I will always love you.” Then, like the cliché moment that I wanted right then and there, he kissed me.

A slight gasp escaped between our lips but quickly developed into a sigh. I was happy in this moment and I wanted more. My body leaned more into his and I wrapped one of my hands around his head and entwined my fingers in his hair to deepen the kiss.

With this one moment, I knew where I lives were going to lead afterwards and I was thankful for it.