You Don't Need The Prom-Posal

You Don't Need The Prom-Posal

Go to prom with your friends instead

28
You Don't Need The Prom-Posal
Paige Goodskey

I went to prom my junior and senior year of high school because my high school had both. In my mind for the longest time, I wanted someone to ask me. I wanted a boy who would want to go with me. I wanted the prom-posal. Boy, was I wrong as a kid. I didn't need that. All I needed were my friends.

I remember it being my junior year. My best guy friend had no one to go with and I kept telling him that we could always go together. That year, he ended up finding someone else to go with. I was not well-liked among the male population at my school. The guys that liked me I had turned down or had not come forward. I really had no idea what I was going to do.

In the end, all I needed were my friends. Me and my two best friends, Marissa and Peyton, ended up going together in a group. We had the time of our lives together at prom. I was able to get on the dance floor with my best friends. When the slow songs came on, we didn't care. We either sat the dance out or danced as a group. I could not have asked for a better junior prom.

Senior prom was a little different. Peyton had moved away but I knew how much she wanted to spend time with her friends here so I invited her. I ended up going with her and Marissa again but also with my new friend, Savannah. She had a boyfriend at the time but we all made it work.

Unfortunately, I was a mess before prom. Peyton and I did not get the money in on-time to sit at the table we wanted to. I put my name at another table and the girl sitting at the table threatened to ruin my prom. I went to everyone I could and they were not happy with the allegations. She did not bother me after she was confronted and she even denied the whole thing. At least she didn't get the chance to ruin it.

Me and my friends spent the night dancing away and eating OK food but mainly just having as much fun as we could. After prom, we all went back to my house. While everyone was at Misquamicut getting it on, we were at my house eating pizza and cheesecake, having the time of our lives.

So, this is my message: go with your friends to prom. Hell, go with your best guy friend if you can. You will have so much more fun with none of the romantic stuff and the stressing to look perfect for a guy. You can look perfect for yourself.

If you do not have anyone to go with, then go by yourself! You will have just as much fun if you do. There will be other people there, as well, without dates and you can always hang out with them.

Don't regret not going to prom because no one asked you. Go with friends or by yourself and make it a night you will never forget!