Girl You Don't Have To Try

Girl, You Don't Have To Try

Put your make-up on
Get your nails done
Curl your hair
Run the extra mile
Keep it slim so they like you, do they like you?

137

Colbie Caillat released the song Try on June 9, 2014. I knew that this song was important then, but when I heard it again for the first time in years it almost stopped me in my tracks.

Listening to this song again, caused me to reflect on just how much my perspective has changed since then. I have always struggled so bad with self image. I would tell myself that I wasn't pretty enough, smart enough, I was too chunky, I didn't have the right kind of clothes, and the list goes on. My younger teen self spent hours sobbing because I wasn't this perfect image of a girl that I had in my head. I used to think that there was absolutely no way anyone would ever like me just because of the way I looked. I spent so much time tearing myself down, that I couldn't possibly imagine thinking anything else about myself. The truth is I still struggle with this from time to time. I'll see myself in a picture with my friends and instantly I'll find something to knit pick about the way I look, whether that be my hair, my smile, or my figure.

"Wait a second,
Why, should you care, what they think of you
When you're all alone, by yourself, do you like you?
Do you like you?You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to, give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing."

This is the mind set that I have had to try so hard to train myself to get in to. Trust me when I say that it's not easy by any means. I used to be the girl that could spend hours doing her hair and makeup every single morning, I would religiously lay out the cutest outfit I could think of the night before, and then when I'd get it all put together I still wasn't happy.

Then I started praying for peace. I found peace with the way my eyes wrinkle when I smile, the insane amount of freckles I have when I don't cover them with makeup, the way that I have curves that some girls don't, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I hope if you're reading this you can find your peace and realize that you're beautiful just the way you are. Also, if at any point in time you are with a significant other, or pursuing someone, and they insist that you need to change something about the way you look. Walk away. I do not say this lightly at all. There is a boy out there that will genuinely adore everything about you and would never ask you a single thing. Honey if he does, he's not the one and you can do so much better!