You Don't Have To Be Strong

You Don't Have To Be Strong

It's time to be okay with our weaknesses

16
You Don't Have To Be Strong
Unsplash

I got into an argument with three teenagers yesterday when I was acting as a leader within a ministry, and one of them threw some choice words at me as I tried to escort him out of the building. As a female who never looks a day over 12 and barely makes it to the five-foot-tall mark, my reactionary stance in this situation was feet apart, shoulders back, and head up. My voice lowered, my eyes narrowed, and my jaw clenched as he continued to berate me with derogatory terms.

Why was this my immediate reaction to conflict? Because I have a problem with appearing weak. In fact, it’s not just appearing weak… it’s being perceived as anything less than completely put together.

This, my friends, is what we call a pride issue.

We live in a world where anything less than “I know exactly what I’m doing” is frowned upon; perceived weakness of any kind is targeted, exploited, and often used as a method for others to get ahead.

We live in a world where it’s hard to say “I’m struggling” even in the church—the place where fallen humanity gathers to receive the grace of God that is sufficient for our brokenness. Instead of looking at the Cross and saying, “I can’t do this on my own,” we look at the world, put on our bravest face, and pretend that we can fake it until we make it to “okay.”

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV)

Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Here's the reality: When we put on a façade of strength and we refuse to admit our shortcomings, we are robbing Christ of glory. When I widen my stance, pull back my shoulders, hold up my head, and confidently say, "Everything is fine; that didn't bother me—I've got this," I am robbing Christ of glory.

Christ's strength is made perfect in your weakness; Christ strength is made perfect in my weakness.

When I admit that those words wounded me to my core, it is Christ's grace in my life that gives me the power to forgive.

When I admit that I am lonely and longing for a true community that I have yet to find, it is Christ's love that gives me the strength to push forward in friendships already established.

When I admit that I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm just floundering to keep my head above water, it is Christ's strength that propels me out of bed and into the world.

When I am weak, Christ is strong.

When you are weak, Christ is strong.