You Don't Have To Have A New Year's Resolution This Year

New year, same me.

116
Jerry Kiesewetter

2017 is coming to a close and 2018 is just around the corner. The new year is a time to reflect and think of what you could make better in the new year. But why do we have to set a goal for ourselves at the beginning of the year when we could do anytime during the year?

As a college student, I have set goals along the lines of not procrastinating on assignments or staying in shape during the school year. So when it's time to ring in the new year, I am on break. That means there are no assignments for me to procrastinate on and what makes you think I am going to get a gym membership for a month when I could be eating the rest of the Christmas cookies before I go back to school?!

It's awful that the New Year is right in the thick of the holiday season. When sweets are still floating around and big, family meals are served constantly. For anyone to say, "I am giving all of that up because of my New Year's resolution" is crazy! For those people who can do it, props to you! You have a lot more self-control than me. But is it really so bad if I don't have one right at the beginning of the year?

If you know that you want to improve on something in the middle of the year, why not start then? I know that some people need that day to say that it is time to change. And realizing that you need to change a part of yourself is a huge step in knowing yourself and your potential! But if you see it happening well into the New Year, it's okay to make a resolution to fix it then.

For me, all of my much-needed-improvements happen during the school year. It may be too much procrastination or not taking time for myself. Either way, I want to make myself better. Instead of waiting for the new year, I start during the school year. I think whenever it is appropriate to make something better, you actively work on it.

I don't think people should be pressured to make a New Years resolution when they are just enjoying themselves. If you are happy with the way you are right now, there is no reason for you to change. You are you and you know yourself the best. If you are proud of who you are (and you should be), there is no reason to change.

I think the saying "new year, new me" sets any human being up for failure. Because we are human, we slip up. Don't feel horrible if you want to improve on the same thing you wanted to improve on last year. If you didn't reach your goal, that's okay. Consider it a long-term goal that is taking a little longer than expected. It doesn't matter how long the journey, it's the destination that makes it all worthwhile.