19 Wishes For My 19th Year

19 Wishes For My 19th Year

Ending my teenage years with a bang

8
19 Wishes For My 19th Year
Elysse Vernon

Yesterday, January 8th, I reached the ripe old age of 19. It's a weird age, especially following the many dramatic changes of turning 18. Nothing special or exciting happens at 19, I'm simply in age limbo, waiting to be 20, then 21. Nevertheless, I shall not waste time in this limbo, I'll still be young and hopeful. Here are some wishes/thoughts/hopes for my last year as a teenager:

1. Survive

It's grim, but after January 19 our fate is in his tiny, tiny hands.

2. Make more time for reading

Instead of five episodes of that Netflix show before bed I could only do three and read a few chapters of one of the idle books on my shelf.

3. Be a stupid teenager

As long as it's within the realm of the law, just have fun and try not to worry so much.

4. Put more effort into the things you love

Namely writing, don't just sit down one morning and hash it all out at a coffee shop, do a little each day and go back, read it over and edit.

5. Be okay with being stationary

The world will not punish you for taking a vacation. Ambition is great, but traveling is never a waste. There's a quote from Madeline Albright that I've sort of let rule my life: "There's plenty of room in the world for mediocre men, but no room for mediocre women." I know I still need to work hard, but I also need to live.

6. Exercise, but don't make it central to your state of mind

Maybe I miss a week of gym routines to study for finals, so what? I shouldn't let it dictate my body image.

7. Study

No really, like actual studying. Preferably, for more than ten minutes on the morning of the test.

8. Spend less

I'm really going to milk that "broke college student" stereotype this year and be incredibly frugal, that is, if I can restrain myself.

9. I hope it's the year of women

I hope there's so much retaliation from the election and just this past campaign cycle that women's voices are too loud to be ignored. I hope we march when we see wrongdoing and we rally when our rights are threatened. I hope we make a difference and better the lives of all women.

10. Forgive

I know I harp on the election results a lot, but acceptance and forgiveness is going to be a process. This year I need to prioritize forgiving those who are ignorant of their words and actions. This already sounds shady, like I said, there's work to do.

11. "Adult" more

I talked about cherishing my youth earlier, but that doesn't mean I can't grow up in little actions. I know I need to get my passport soon, and that's something I can do on my own. I can definitely focus on managing my savings account better. I can be reckless and young, but I can also recipe-test my vegetable steamer and get my tires fixed.

12. Be creative every day

Pick up a pen and draw something, take a picture, write a poem, write a story, sing a song, make up a dance, tell an original joke. A little bit of creativity is needed to get through the day.

13. Actually use your planner

It would be so beneficial to my life if it didn't sit in a forgotten desk drawer. I bought it at the beginning of the year along with my other school supplies to keep my life together, I should actually use it more than once every three months. No more missed deadlines or events for me (I hope)!

14. Try being a morning person for a little while

Go to bed earlier, wake up earlier; it sounds easier than it is. But I want to get the most out of everyday and be as productive as possible, even if only for a month. It may even change my attitude as well.

15. Buy only cruelty free makeup

I've been doing this for a few months now, and I still have some items in my makeup collection that aren't cruelty free that I need to use up. Along with this, I hope to spend more ethically in other realms like clothing, shoes, and accessories.

16. Drink less coffee

I've accidentally built up my caffeine tolerance to needing about three cups a day in order to get anything done, and because I don't have the genes of a Gilmore, that's probably not healthy.

17. Go outside

I mean spend more time outside in general. Instead of studying in my dorm or the library I could find a secluded spot outside or find a nice park or trail to walk.

18. Write about something new

I clearly love my political satires and gif-centered pieces, but this year I should broaden my horizons to topics I normally wouldn't cover. I won't become a full-fledged sports reporter, but at least take a look at it.

19. Make this year better than the last

Turning 18 meant a year full of milestones: prom, graduation, college, voting. 2016 wasn't the greatest year for all of this to happen either, which means I need to work harder to make sure my 19th year isn't just "a weird in-between age," I need to make the year adventurous.

Here's to youth and here's to dreaming.