To The Person Who Feels Like They Are Not Enough
Life Stages

"You're doing amazing sweetie." -Kris Jenner

572

As we get older, life continues to throw stuff at us. Things get more difficult, and we aren't given the option to just sit back and let Jesus take the wheel like when we were younger. We have to start doing major things ourselves--like making our own doctor appointments, finding jobs, and paying bills. The real life is here and we have to adjust. Isn't that what college is all about though?

It is basically the rite of passage to adulthood. No one said it was going to be easy, but we're doing it and we're doing it our way. We put endless time in academics, job searching, and training to be adults. It gets tiring and especially frustrating when this goes unnoticed by parents. My parents are constantly on my back about school and my job life. My dad claims I don't put enough effort into anything I do to have the successful life I am destined for, according to him. Mind you, I have two jobs, I have made the dean's list every semester, and I was captain of sports teams in high school. But, no effort there, according to him. He also feels I don't take life seriously enough to make major life decisions such as studying abroad. My mother, on the other hand, is just terrified to leave me alone in a different country where she can't get access to me so easily.

What we have to understand is that this is an adjustment period for our parents as well. We're adjusting to becoming adults and so are they. They are so used to us as younger kids needing to be babied by our parents. Treating us like adults is new for them too. They need to adjust to new boundaries, new standards, and new respect. It will take time, but eventually, they will lay off your back and let you off into the real world.

This is difficult now because it makes you second guess yourself constantly and makes you almost feel worthless or not enough, but that's not the case. We are all doing such amazing things in the world right now that you shouldn't let one person, no matter how close they are to you, let you get down on yourself. Focus on all the good you are accomplishing and the bright future shining for you. You are enough. You are putting your best effort in. You are an amazing person. You are doing your best and you are living your life and that is all that needs to happen. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Keep your head high and just keep swimming. Their words mean nothing, and your actions towards your accomplishment mean everything. You will show them that you are doing more than enough and that you are capable of everything. Never forget your worth and potential.