These Are The Health Benefits Of Doing Yoga

Why Are Health Gurus Going Gaga Over Yoga?

How a skeptic opposed to Health & Wellness trends fell in love with yoga at first try.

149

Remember when everyone praised the dietetic advantages of a smoothie-based diet? These blender-borne miracles later turned out to be a joke of clever marketing, calorie-heavy and packed with sugar. The consumers didn't laugh, though, because they hate falling prey to the media.

Health and wellness trends often prove to be a trap; their shortcomings muffled down by the buzz they provoke.
In times as ungodly as ours, Oriental spiritual practices, such as yoga, have spilled into the Western culture and gained in popularity. This new trend made me skeptical.

The original purpose of yoga, which was to awaken one's consciousness and feel one with the universe, is unknown to many Western practitioners today. It has been borrowed blindly along with bindis seen on Coachella goers' foreheads.

What sparked yoga craze was its rumored health benefits. People wanted to experience them firsthand and… be in trend. After all, if David Beckham incorporated yoga into his routine, it must be worth it.

Those who stay faithful to the original yoga didn't dispel my doubts. Spiritual to the bone, connected to nature, and mostly vegan, they seemed to have a lifestyle and worldview radically different to my own. Although I respect what they are doing, this way of life is alien to me.

But in the end, my curiosity outweighed my prejudice against yoga. Morning anxiety episodes wouldn't leave me in peace, so I decided to give it a chance to manifest its positive effect on the morale.

I was kneeling down in front of my computer, a "Yoga for beginners" YouTube video pulled up on the screen. In the absence of a proper yoga mat, I settled on the carpet in the living room and clumsily followed the instructions of my new virtual mentor. Her flexibility seemed to defy the abilities of the human body. I, on the other hand, struggled to keep balance, failed to hold certain killer poses for longer than three seconds, and fell on my ass when attempting to do others.

After the most embarrassing 20 minutes of my life, I felt energized like after a double espresso, confident and ready for a productive day. Moreover, I was able not only to reach my toes with the tips of my fingers but to wrap my hands around my feet. Pretty impressive for someone who has never been flexible, right?

Within a week of practicing yoga religiously for half an hour before breakfast, I couldn't turn back. And I didn't want to. This stretching exercise was life-changing: it transformed my body by strengthening my muscle, helped reduce my daily stress levels, and brought me one step closer to reaching inner peace.

For those of you still hesitating to give it a try, this is the sign you've been waiting for.