Yes, Please

I recently had a conversation involving random health benefits of a few yummy things. I looked upon it as an opportunity to justify consuming all of these yummy things. Therefore, it inspired me to research a few of my addictions... or favorite things. Oh, do read on.

1) COFFEE: It helps combat liver disease, hello happy liver:

A study published in 2006 that included 125,000 people over 22 years showed that those who drink at least one cup of coffee a day were 20 percent less to develop liver cirrhosis — an autoimmune disease caused by excessive alcohol consumption that could lead to liver failure and cancer. So drink your alcohol… but give you liver a hand, drink some coffee.

2) GINGER: It is a natural pain reliever. Ladies, it has been shown to relieve menstrual cramps.

One of the traditional uses of ginger is for pain relief, including menstrual pain. In one study, 150 women were instructed to take 1 gram of ginger powder per day, for the first 3 days of the menstrual period. Ginger managed to reduce pain as effectively as the drugs mefenamic acid and ibuprofen. BOOM! Not only is it a delicious, spicy treat, it takes care of those unwanted pains.

3) HONEY:Need some all natural energy? Honey, me too.

Honey is an excellent source of all-natural energy. This natural unprocessed sugar (fructose and glucose) directly enters the bloodstream and can deliver a quick boost of energy. The rise in blood sugar acts as a short-term energy source for your workout or day, especially in longer endurance exercises. I add it to my green tea, it will keep you hydrated and energized. Give it a try, it’s the bee’s knees.

4) AVOCADOS:These bad boys are packin’… in potassium that is.

Avocados contain massive amounts of potassium. More so than bananas. For every 100 grams of an avocado, 14% is RDA, bananas contain 10%. Potassium not only helps with pesky muscle cramps, but it also lowers blood pressure, which is a major factor for heart attacks, kidney failure, and strokes. Can you say guacamole? Bowls and bowls of it. Gotta’ keep those potassium levels up. That’s my excuse.

5) DARK CHOCOLATE:It may improve brain function; AKA makes you smarter. AKA, give me a truck load.

Dark chocolate may also improve the function of the brain. One study of healthy volunteers showed that 5 days of consuming high-flavanol cocoa improved blood flow to the brain. Cocoa also contains stimulant substances like caffeine and theobromine, which may be a key reason cocoa can improve brain function in the short term. Are you kidding me? Probably the best news ever. Grab your chocolate and hit the library.

6) RED WINE: Feeling sick? Catch a bug? Drown it in red wine.

The antioxidants in red wine may help keep you healthy. A 2010 study in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that among 4,000 faculty members at five Spanish universities, those who drank more than 14 weekly glasses of wine for a year were 40% less likely to come down with a common cold. Antioxidants are believed to fight infection and protect cells against the effects of free radicals, which may play role in cancer and other diseases. What a shame, hand me a glass.

7) CHEESE: Cheese makes you strong like bull. And goes with red wine, and dark chocolate, see where I am going with this?

Cheese contains a host of nutrients like calcium, protein, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B12. Calcium is one of the nutrients most likely to be lacking in the American diet. The high-quality protein in cheese provides the body with essential building blocks for strong muscles. So I’m basically thinking we need a party with cheese, red wine, and dark chocolate, for you calcium-lacking fools of course.

There you have it, all delicious, all with health benefits.

Cheers