Yes, Missing You Hurts, But Not Like It Used To

Trust me, it gets better.

540
Unsplash

Just seeing the words it's been a month are a shock to me, especially writing them down. How has the time gone by that fast when some days feel like we just ended things yesterday? A song my mind goes to is by Billy Currington, called "It Don't Hurt Like It Used To" and I've found it accurately describes how I've been feeling as the days turned into weeks, which have now turned into a month.

I'm going to use the lyrics of this song to go from day to day, because sometimes words can only do so much, and a song is what truly helps encompass how you feel.

Day 1: "Did all I could to try and make it work"

I wanted so badly for us to keep this going. I would have done anything, but anything wasn't enough. The emotional damage I've gotten from doing all I could to make it work has altered me as a person forever. I suffered through months of horrible texting and an overall lack of caring, and I'm proud that at least I made effort when you decided to stop. I cried so much I thought my body was going to run out of tears. This pit in my stomach and hurt in my throat from the feeling of holding back sobs began.

Day 4: "Hit another bar, call another friend, throw a few down and tell the story again"

It seemed as if I was telling the story of us ending things to everyone and with every person I told it to the more real it got. I was still producing tears at an ungodly rate and the urge to text you was as real as it was Day 1 when I almost took it all back. The pit was still there, but not as bad as it was before. To lose you was withdrawing from a drug, you know you have to do it for yourself even though you want it more than anything. Friends told me I did the right thing, I don't need you and I deserve far better. Hearing it is one thing but the feelings I had for you still masked the ability to comprehend this.

Day 7: "Hey, hey what can I say? I can tell a lie and say it's all OK"

Everyone asks if I'm doing OK, and some I lie to and others I don't. Not talking to you for a week was something that hurt me so much. Even though we hardly talked, we still did every single day and it broke me not getting any texts or Snapchats anymore. The streak we built was shattered just like this shattered me. So yeah, I can try and put on a brave face in class, but even my favorite professor knew something was wrong. Maybe the more I lie and tell myself it's all OK the better I'd feel. To say that first week was absolute hell is an understatement.

Day 11: "Going through hell getting over you"

Believe me when I say that by now I was far better than I was Day 1. I can hold food down, and get out of bed and want to go to class. That being said, getting there was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I would see your name pop up on Snapchat when you had a story up and my gut would twist and I'd want to respond, especially to the ones of the dog at work, but I didn't. Why didn't I block you during this time of healing? This is different than the other people I used to like, they were one and done, but a year of friendship isn't going to just get blocked as if it never happened. You have to go through hard times to finally get the good, but going through this type of hurt getting over you is something I don't wish on anyone. I knew that not blocking you was something that was going to test me, and I was ready to take it on.

Day 14: "But it don't hurt, it don't hurt like it used to"

Reaching the two-week mark was something I never expected to come so soon, yet go by so slow. Every day I got a little better. I was still avoiding seeing you in the places I used to and so far it was working. However, I did see you in your car and that broke me a little. That car and you are one, every loud car makes me think of you and tense up. Yes, thinking of you and seeing you seemingly unfazed by all of this hurts, but the hurt I feel now isn't as bad as it used to be. I'm slowly getting ok again.

Day 18: "I'm finally gettin' out back into the world"

I decided looking for a new guy isn't going to help me solve my issues. I thought I met a nice one that might help me move on from all of this, but he ended up just another guy to hurt my feelings during a time I was already unstable. I am not letting that stop me from getting up every day and doing me. It took almost three weeks, but I'm starting to go back to places I used to see you. Granted, seeing you in those places with your friends is still a trigger, but it's more manageable now.

Day 21: "I don't hardly ever think about you"

I still find my mind floating to thoughts of you, but for the most part, I'm not thinking about you as often. Little things remind me of you, and I think they always will, but as every day passes, I can think of things I love and not associate them with you anymore. This particular time is when we first met and hung out, and that's emotional enough to realize every day. As hard as those moments are for me, they're fleeting, and I can go back to my daily activities and be OK.

Day 25: "Sometimes I find peace of mind in a bottle of wine, other times I break down and cry"

I talked to you for the first time because you were literally in line for something in front of me and avoiding it wouldn't help me heal. You were nice to me and I hated it, but you didn't ask how I was and that was enough to really hurt me for a while that day. I cried because it was pent up from the day before when I saw you with your friends. It hurts seeing them as much as seeing you and bottling that hurt was taking its toll. However, days like that are getting less and less. Yes, basically all of campus and certain other places and things trigger thoughts of you, but I fell in love with Rhode Island long before I knew you existed.

Day 30: "No it don't hurt, it don't hurt like it used to"

It still hurts a month later. I still call one of my best friends asking why the universe keeps causing me to run into you and why my heart can't just let you go. I'm also such a stronger person after all of this. Day 1 I couldn't listen to music and I wouldn't. It took until after Day 7 to finally listen to music again, and write in my journal, and remind myself that if I were still with you I'd be in an even deeper, darker hole than I already was. This song truly encompasses the journey I've been through this last month getting over you and yes, it doesn't hurt like it used to.

A breakup (whether it's one to you and not him or one to both of you) isn't something you should ever be expected to just get over. My advice is to take it day by day, because one day I know I'll wake up and instead of feeling a twinge in my heart when I hear a loud, fast car, I'll just smile.