Top 10 Yellowcard Albums

Top 10 Yellowcard Albums

"Could we forgive somehow? Can we let it rest in peace?"

2153
Top 10 Yellowcard Albums
Adam Elmakias

Well, this is truly going to be the end of the line with this band. On June 25, 2016, American Rock band, Yellowcard, announced on the Alternative Press website that the group would be breaking up after a final tour, stating: "Please come and join us on our last trip around the globe. We hope to share this final record and tour with each and every one of you." The tour will be starting this October in the United States, and will continue to the United Kingdom in December, followed by an Australian tour in February 2017. Yellowcard has been around since 1997, but didn't get a lot of fame until 2003. Not only they'll be breaking up for good in 2017, but it will also mark their 20th anniversary as a band.

Yellowcard is well known for its singles "Ocean Avenue", "Only One", and "Lights & Sounds." Soon, they were up to the charts with the likes of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Blink-182, and New Found Glory. Their music is distinctive within the band's overall genre because it features the prominent use of a violin, so it can sound more melodic. The band has released nine studio albums, with its most recent one, Lift A Sail, released on October 7, 2014 through Razor & Tie. The group's tenth and final studio album, Yellowcard, is set to be released on September 30, 2016 through Hopeless Records. You can check out their two new singles, "Rest in Peace" and "The Hurt Is Gone."

With all of this in mind, let's take a look back through Yellowcard's music, take a trip down their memory lane, and see which of these albums still sticks out from the crowd. From worst to best, this is my list for Top 10 Yellowcard Albums! Let's do this!

10. Midget Tossing

Midget Tossing is Yellowcard's debut album, released in 1997 by Takeover Records. It was recorded in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, at the Music Factory by Michael Ray FitzGerald. Ryan Key and Sean Mackin were not yet members of the group but made guest appearances, on background vocals and violin respectively. Nowadays, the album is currently out of print.

9. Lift A Sail

On March 20, 2014, Yellowcard signed a deal with Razor & Tie, opting out of re-signing with Hopeless Records. According to the band, "there will be no fast songs (although no shortage of energy)," "Longineu Warren "LP" Parsons lll, our former drummer, left the band at the same time we got signed (so he has nothing to do with the entire record)," and "this album will have less of a Pop-Punk sound, and more of a Rock sound." To some people, these are the reasons why this was probably the worst album that Yellowcard has ever released, but those opinions don't matter. Lift A Sail was released on October 7, 2014 through Razor & Tie. Before the album was released, the band released four singles and they are "One Bedroom," "Make Me So," "Crash the Gates," and "Transmission Home." The album debuted at on the Billboard 200 chart (at #26) with first week sales of 13,615 copies in the United States. This was a different twist, but Yellowcard still had another successful record.

8. Ocean Avenue (Acoustic)

On August 13, 2013, Yellowcard released an acoustic version of Ocean Avenue through Hopeless Records, in honor of the original album's tenth anniversary. The band mentioned that they had spent months "re-imagining" the original 13 tracks. Yellowcard also announced an Ocean Avenue Acoustic tour in the U.S., Europe, and Australia with special guest Geoff Rickly of Thursday. In early 2014, the band again took the Ocean Avenue Acoustic tour out for a second leg around the United States, this time with special guests What's Eating Gilbert. As for the album, it received a Metacritic score of 60/100 based on 5 reviews, indicating mixed or average reviews. Also, it debuted on the Billboard 200 chart (at #53), with 7,000 copies sold, 4,000 of which are downloads. It also debuted on both the Rock Albums and Independent Albums charts (at #11). It might not be something new and original, but it's great that Yellowcard did something to remember the album that made them successful.

7. Where We Stand

Where We Stand is the second album released by Yellowcard. It was released in 1999 (and re-released in 2004 and 2005). It was released by Takeover Records, a label created by one of the band's guitarists, Ben Harper. It is currently out-of-print, although a digital copy can be legally purchased on iTunes. This is the last release to feature former vocalist, Ben Dobson, whose position would be taken by guitarist & vocalist, Ryan Key. The songs "Sue" and "Uphill Both Ways" were re-recorded; originally appearing on Yellowcard's first album, Midget Tossing.

6. One For The Kids

One For The Kids is the their third studio album. It was released on April 3, 2001 on Lobster Records, and it's the first Yellowcard album to include Ryan Key as lead singer and guitarist. It was produced, engineered and mixed by Darian Rundall in Redondo beach, California. Six of the songs, "Drifting," "Sureshot," "Big Apple Heartbreak," "Cigarette," "October Nights," and "A.W.O.L." are featured on Microsoft's snowboarding video game Amped 2 for the original Xbox.

5. Paper Walls

Paper Walls is the sixth studio album by Yellowcard, released on July 17, 2007. This is also the first Yellowcard album with Ryan Mendez, the last with Peter Mosely, and the last studio album to be released through Capitol records. Its lead single was "Light Up the Sky." Allmusic was satisfied with the album and said, "Yellowcard is neither the flashiest nor the most popular among the new millennium's pop-punk bands but their fifth album Paper Walls goes a long way in proving that they are among the best of their breed." With positive critical reception from critics, fans enjoyed it as well. This is shown on Metacritic with a 7.6 out of 10, indicating generally positive reviews. Following the album's release, it debuted on the Billboard 200 chart (at #13), selling about 40,000 copies in its first week.

4. Lights & Sounds

Lights & Sounds is their fifth studio album, released on January 24, 2006, in the United States through Capitol Records. It's is Yellowcard's first concept album, which was inspired to reflect what the band was feeling at the time of production and how they have matured in the process. Lights & Sounds also departs from the sounds on Yellowcard's previous album, Ocean Avenue, which broke away from its pop punk sound to a more alternative rock album. Upon the album's release, it charted on the Billboard 200 and Top Internet Albums' charts, making it the band highest charting album to date. The album accumulated sales of just over 315,000 copies. The album yielded two singles, "Light & Sounds" and "Rough Landing, Holly." While the band was promoting the album, lead guitarist Ben Harper parted ways with the band. To accommodate the album's promotion, Yellowcard replaced Harper with guitarist Ryan Mendez.

3. When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes

After a two year hiatus (2008-2010), the seventh studio album was released by Yellowcard on March 22, 2011, and under Hopeless Records this time. The songs "For You, & Your Denial," "Hang You Up," and "Sing for Me" were released as singles. The name of this record comes from a text message sent to a girl by lead singer, Ryan Key. Reception to When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes was mainly positive. AbsolutePunk reviewer Thomas Nassiff summarized the reunion album as "a holistic recap of the band's career that still shows good progression" and "one very important thing: Yellowcard is back, and they're back for good". Jared Ponton of Sputnikmusic, in his review giving the album 4 out of 5 stars, explained, "The record bleeds with the best that Yellowcard have done thus far, yet in a fresh context, bursting with newfound energy after a short hiatus that, in hindsight, was certainly needed."

2. Southern Air

Southern Air is the eighth studio album by Yellowcard. It was released on August 14, 2012 through Hopeless Records. The songs "Awakening," "Always Summer" and "Here I Am Alive" (featuring Taylor Jardine of We Are The In Crowd) were released as singles. The album also features guest appearances by Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low and recording artist, Cassadee Pope. It debuted on the Billboard 200 chart (at #10), making this their second album to debut in that spot (the other being their 2006 album, Lights & Sounds). In addition, Thomas Nassiff at AbsolutePunk.net lauded that the album "is the best pop-punk album of 2012, and it’s a veteran band putting on a clinic for everyone to listen. Also, this is the last album to feature founding drummer, Longineu Warren "LP" Parsons lll.

1. Ocean Avenue

Oh, boy... Here it is... The one that started it all for Yellowcard! Ocean Avenue is their fourth studio album. This record was the band's major-label debut and brought them to prominence. It was a commercial success in the United States, led by titular hit singles like "Ocean Avenue," "Way Away," "Breathing," and "Only One." The album received generally positive reviews from music critics and has been certified Platinum in sales by the RRIA and Gold by the CRIA. It was released on July 22, 2003 through Capitol Records.Ocean Avenue sold 11,000 copies in its first week in the U.S. To this day, it is Yellowcard's most successful album, and has sold 1.8 million copies in the U.S. The album was even included on RockSound's "The 51 Most Essential Pop-Punk Albums of All Time" list (at #50). Yeah... It's that popular, and it still is!!!

These records are different from each other, but they have one thing in common... They show almost twenty years of hard work, passion, and loyalty. Now, it's all coming to an end once and for all. I've been listening to Yellowcard since Ocean Avenue, and they have changed me not only as an artist, but also as a human being. I can't thank them enough for that! I'm so getting their last album when it comes out and I'm definitely going to see them on their last tour, and you can too by going here to get tickets.

Yellowcard... Happy 20th anniversary, and here's to your last hurrah! <3