It's Not a New Year, But Resolutions Are Still Important

It doesn't just have to be the beginning of the year to set new goals for yourself.

153
Unsplash

At the beginning of every year, people look forward to creating their New Years Resolutions. Go to the gym, give up carbs, volunteer more, be a better person, etc. etc. We make these plans, but really how many people follow through. How many people have actually been able to live up to their New Year’s Resolution over the course of the whole year? Setting goals are important, but what’s the point if we don’t live up to them.

I wanted to try something new this year. Even though it’s not the beginning of 2019, what’s stopping us from making new resolutions over the course of the year. As the school year is starting to come to a close, students are moving back home for the summer and beginning to adjust to their new schedule. In order to gain the most out of summertime, I wanted to start setting list of goals for my academics, extracurricular, and social life. It is important to have balance in your life and summer is the perfect time to get back on track in from the beginning of the year.

1. Academics

• Find a way to actively train your mind so you don’t fall out of the routine of thinking. Watch documentaries and read books. Have mature conversations and debates. It is important to feel challenged.
  • Look into taking summer courses at a local university to get ahead of your classes in order to have more room to explore different classes and gain the most out of your college classes. Or use this time to fulfill prerequisite classes for graduate school.
  • Develop a plan for the rest of the classes you plan to take the remainder of college so that everything is all planned out. Take advantage of Excel and remember it’s okay if plans change.
  • Look into internships to help build your resume and apply what you have learned in your classes to the real world.
  • Explore outside of your community at different volunteer opportunities to develop a better understanding of your environment. Try volunteering at different locations at least every other week over the course of the summer.
  • Find joy in exercise. Summertime is the perfect time not only to get in shape but to stay active. Exercise is a great stress relief and starting a consistent routine over the summer can help you stay on track with it when you go back to school.
  • Enjoy a hobby. Get creative. Do something that can help get you off electronics. It’s summer, so enjoy the nice weather.

2. Social life

• It is important to take time for yourself and enjoy self-care but also to surround yourself with people who are important to you.
  • Engage in genuine conversations with friends and ask questions. Be a listener and also reciprocate. No good conversations are one-sided.
  • Be in the moment with your friends at home, but take time to check-in with your friends from school. They are just as important to you when you are home as they are to you when you are at home.