Things We Want To See Out Of The WWE Brand Split

Ever wonder how the WWE will make the brand split work?

37
The Poster Images

Are you a current fan of the WWE, or are you someone who stopped watching when little people and santa claus began to reign supreme on WWE television? Whichever you are, you must have heard about the recent changes that have been taking place on WWE programming, as well as the upcoming big changes that will be taking place this summer. Some of the biggest changes that have hit WWE television thus far is the inclusion of actual talent on the active WWE roster, names such as Baron Corbin, Kevin Owens, and Sami Zayn just to name a few have hit the roster hard and with much success. It's rather obvious that the WWE is starting to head in the right direction with it's programming again, and it is about to make an even bigger change come this July. Ever since it's inception, WWE's second-place show, Smackdown, has been taped on Tuesdays and been played on Television on either Thursdays or Fridays, which has always been a tad bit offsetting and spoiler-heavy to say the least. However, coming this July, Smackdown will begin going live on Tuesday nights on the USA network, which will reduce the ability for fans to know what is going to happen for the show. The other, much bigger change that is going to happen to WWE this summer is the return of separate brands with unique rosters, storylines, and rivalries. These brands will be known as RAW and Smackdown, the two current shows that are on air through the WWE, and will feature different rosters, storylines and rivalries for the first time in about 5 years. So without further ado, here are some things that I, as a wrestling fan, would like to see out of the brand split, and what I would like to see stay the same.

#1 Change: Different Rosters

While the brands having different rosters is a definite thing that is going to happen, there is a lot more to it than just saying that the brands will have different rosters. It is important to stabilize and balance both brands with a field of both veterans and up-and-comers to keep the shows fresh. Here is a small table of how I personally think the brands will look like:

Roman Reigns and the Shield on RAW:

Vince is definitely pushing for Reigns to be the next top guy in WWE and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was kept on RAW to get a push, and with the other members of the Shield feuding with him, it would make for some great Television.

UPDATE: Between the time this article was written and the date this article has gone live, there have been some changes in the world of Wrestling. On June 21st, Roman Reigns was suspended due to his first violation of the WWE Wellness Policy. There will be more on that in a future article, however this does change the landscape of the draft a tiny bit. While I still believe Roman Reigns will be staying on RAW, I don't think he will be the number 1 draft pick. I believe either Seth Rollins or Dean Ambrose (The new WWE World Heavyweight Champion) will be the number 1 draft pick for monday nights.

John Cena and AJ Styles on Smackdown:

As everyone knows, Cena is the posterboy for the WWE and has been for the past 10 years. However, he doesn't have much time left, so Vince is already molding his replacement in Reigns (or another possible replacement from the new era). Keeping Cena at the top of Smackdown will let him live out the rest of his days in WWE as some kind of top dog, and it's no surprise that AJ Styles will keep his feud going with Cena for a while (at least until Survivor Series) which puts both him and the Club on Smackdown as well.

Tag Teams:

The Tag Teams can pretty much be split down the middle, and personally I would like to see the Unified Tag Titles split and have a tag title for each show, but the WWE will probably keep the Unified Tag Titles intact and have Tag Teams defend the championship at Pay-Per-Views against teams of the other brand on occasion. One good side to the WWE's method is that keeping a good amount of Tag Teams on both brands will help keep the Tag division relevant outside the Title picture, especially if the Revival and American Alpha are brought up from NXT.

Minor Championships:

It's my prediction that the Intercontinental Title will go over to Smackdown and the United States Title will go to RAW, simply because that's where they were when the brands unified. Naturally, the champions would have to go with their respective titles, and I don't see either Rusev or The Miz losing their championships any time soon.

Women's Division:

Like the Tag Team Division, the Women's Division will probably be pretty much be split down the middle while keeping one title and defending it against both brands. With all the new talent of the Women's Division coming up from NXT, we could definitely see some great storylines that don't involve the title on both shows. Or we could see a new division arise on one brand and have the Women's division be brand-exclusive, but we'll get into that later.

Commentary:

For god's sake I would love it is JBL and Byron Saxton got off Television as quickly as possible, and for WWE to bring up commentators with more skill. I understand why Jerry Lawler is on Smackdown, but I would love to see him back on RAW accompanied by Smackdown's pride and joy, Mauro Ronallo. Michael Cole can go back to Smackdown and take a few pointers from Corey Graves, a current announcer for NXT, because Graves is absolutely killing it down there.

General Managers:

I'm absolutely sick of seeing the Authority. Period. If we can get Shane as a GM for RAW and someone like Teddy Long as a GM for Smackdown, that would be perfect in my mind. (Probably won't happen, but a guy can dream can't he?)

#1 Keep: Current Storylines

One thing that I don't want to see change is the current storylines that are going on in WWE. This may be pretty obvious, but you never can tell when you're talking about WWE Creative. If once the brands split, storylines are reset and brand new ones are integrated without any mention of any storylines prior to the brand split, it would be extremely jarring and frustrating for the WWE Universe. Basing the current storylines on what will happen when the brands split is pretty much all we have to go on concerning where the superstars end up (Cena and AJ feud on Smackdown, Owens and Zayn feud on RAW, etc.), so resetting all the feuds and starting over once the brands split would make very little sense and would be a terrible start to the new era.

#2 Change: New Championships

While there are many people who feel that the Championships that are currently in place in the WWE should be the only ones that should exist after the brand split, I disagree. Keeping the titles as they are would ruin the point of the brand split and would ultimately call for the brands to come back together, which would prove this entire endeavor pointless. By creating a World Title and a Tag Title for Smackdown, it would give Smackdown both more credibility as well as the ability for their superstars to measure up to RAW. What the WWE and the people who want to keep the current championships are probably thinking is that when one brand captures the tag/women's/world title that is being shared between the brands, that brand or superstar will establish dominance. What they fail to realize is that 9 times out of 10, RAW will have dominance because RAW is the WWE's pride and joy. Despite Smackdown having better ratings than RAW during the first brand split, WWE corporate still always made Smackdown feel like the 2nd place show. Smackdown could also have a division all of its own, like the old Cruiserweight division (which has a real possibility of coming back due to the upcoming WWE Cruiserweight Classic). The possibilities are endless.

#2 Keep: Rare Crossovers

The reason this is in the Keep pile is that this relates to the old brand extension, in which it rang true (until all the RAW Supershows...). Brands should stay on their own shows, which is the very point of the brand split. This is why keeping the same championships intact without adding any new ones makes no sense to me, due to the fact that if you only keep the championships that are available currently intact, there will only be one brand exclusive champion for Smackdown (the Intercontinental Championship). If superstars were going away from their brands too often, it would water down the value of the brand split and would once again unify the brands over time. Of course, events like the Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, and Wrestlemania are exempt from this, which is why I said Rare crossovers instead of no crossovers. This would also add more shock value and overall quality of any crossover that happens.

If WWE could make this Brand Split happen with precision and think it out correctly, it would be an exemplary way to kick in the new era and hopefully return old fan's interest in the WWE.