You Are Still A Writer Even When You Struggle With Writer's Block

Why you should never let a negative mentality take over your creative mind.

40
Unsplash

Writing is difficult. As Hemingway once said, “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” There is nothing simple about it. Not everyone can commit to the life of a writer and I myself, as any writer does, have had many personal struggles with my journey through the craft of the written word.

I have spent many mornings attempting to force eloquent sentences onto paper and many nights staying up until late hours as I read every writing manual and slice of advice I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, a slew of tips and tricks to break the dreaded writer's block are not always what is needed.

Sometimes we are not able to force ourselves to write at the caliber that we feel we should. Sometimes we have no ideas, or the words simply fall out as dull mush onto the paper. There is nothing more disheartening as a writer than feeling as though you are failing at your craft.

Though I am still a younger writer, being only 20-years-old, I have struggled with self-doubts that have moved me to stray from my work at times. It is easy to abandon ship when the engines fail, and you believe yourself to be stranded. It's easy to take off for the shore where there is safety in any number of other activities.

I stopped writing close to two years ago, I took an entire year off with almost no writing at all. It was accidental in all honesty. I was pursuing other things, I was busy, and everything else I was involved in seemed to be easier. I got instant gratification, or what was much closer to it, in pastimes other than writing.

Being involved in other hobbies was easier than staring at a blank screen and critiquing my own work. It was easier than creating worlds from scratch and opening my heart to the paper. It was easier than writing.

And so, for a brief span of my life, I almost entirely abandoned the one passion I had never taken a break from since the first time I was able to pick up a pencil and delve into the creative world. The one passion that I was so utterly in-love with I was considering pursuing a career in which I could spend my time carrying out that beloved writer routine daily.

It took me a while to realize that I felt a part of me was missing. Then it took some more time for me to reteach myself to be open to the page and to allow my creativity to take control.

I gave up on myself, my creativity, and my writing for an entire year. A year that I wish more than anything that I could get back.

Because for my friends, time is our greatest threat. Time and unfortunately ourselves if we allow ourselves to become our own enemy.

I challenge you as a creative person, to push through your roadblocks. When writer’s block strikes don't be afraid to strike back and do not feel foolish for struggling.

Even those who go on to do great things and create amazing works have struggled and will struggle in the future. It is part of the writing lifestyle.

If we choose to give up because we experience an obstacle, then we may never reach that sought-after piece hiding at the back of our minds waiting for us to overcome our setbacks and write it into existence. Experiencing writer’s block does not make you less of a writer, it makes you human.