The Overlooked And Undervalued Importance Of Self Worth

We as individuals have wrongly allowed others to define our self worth.

196
bryantmcgill

I know that everyone has noticed that the price and value of the things we buy everyday seem to be getting more and more expensive. We all have been at a table when a parent says, "When I was your age this only cost a dollar." We all have been told how the value of the dollar bill is not what is used to be. But I'm willing to bet, almost no one has noticed another value dropping. You've definitely witnessed it, or even experienced it, but you didn't really notice. You have taken part in the decline, however, it's not your fault. It has been happening so slowly, that it has almost happened without detection. Our society, and we as individuals, have slowly allowed the value of our own self worth trickle away.

Some of you may think that I am crazy or dramatic, but I assure you I'm not crazy, and only slightly dramatic. Self worth cannot be overestimated because it's so influential in a person's life. Fights, riots, and even wars have been started over it. For example, governments that have oppressed their people, and treated them like cattle, have been over thrown. But somehow, over the years, its importance to us as individuals has been lost.

On a large scale, the evidence is clear. We live in a society that idolizes sex, and a society that tells us it has no real importance. This glaringly shows the lack of self worth we put upon ourselves. We are telling ourselves that our bodies are just objects that can be used. Furthermore, our society idolizes people in such a way that our kids are told to dress and even act like them. The amazing quality of one's uniqueness is being lost, and no one cares, because no one realizes what their own worth is.

On a smaller scale, the problems are much worse. While guys struggle with this too, this seems to plague girls much more; and understandably so. Girls are told that if they aren't a certain size, or if they don't act a certain way, then they aren't wanted. This is basically telling a girl that she has no value, and guys allow this to happen, so girls are left thinking that they aren't worth anything. In this vicious cycle, girls start to fall for awful guys just because they show her attention, and end up getting used and hurt. This can happen to guys too, they can be used for money or attention just as easily. No one is stopping and saying, "I deserve better", because they don't know if they do or not. People are letting others tell them what they are worth which should never be the case. Allowing someone to tell you what you are worth is an extremely powerful gesture. If you let someone tell you what you are worth, then they have power over you.

If you are still reading then I can assume you don't think I'm completely nuts, so I'm going to ask you to do something. Stop and think about your own worth. No, not what you mean to others, not how much money you make, but what you truly mean to yourself. Think about the things you like about yourself, and if you are thinking that there isn't anything, then this article is for you. Think about how much you like your own eyes, hair, smile, or anything really! Then move little deeper and think about your own personality traits that you like. Think about the things you are good at. Just think about the good things, and after a while, you can stop and read the next paragraph.

If you found that thinking about your worth was hard, then I have a task for you. Make yourself fall in love with yourself. If you don't love yourself then you can't love others. If you don't love yourself, you can't be confident and you can't be truly happy. It is better to be cocky than timid. It is better to be vain, than to be self-loathing. If you love yourself and know your own worth, then no one can ever tell you what your own worth is. If you love yourself and know your worth, then people's insults will become laughable because you know they are not true. If you still don't think you can love yourself, ask a friend to tell you why they like you. In the end it is simple, learn to love yourself so that you can love others.