worse sports scenes in movies

If You're An Avid Sports Fan Then You Know My Pain Watching The Top 11 Worst Sports Scenes In Movie History

Never let superheroes play basketball.

269
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwQTkfac6Qs

As an avid sports fan, there is nothing worse than seeing Hollywood directors try and act like they actually know about sports work. Sometimes, they even get it wrong in sports films themselves. Here is a comprehensive list of the worst sports scenes in movie history.

1. The “Catwoman” Basketball scene

The weird line between good defense and sexual grinding would be bad enough without a bunch of school children watching. The jump cuts and Halle Berry dunking from the three-point line are worse. Seriously, wherein Catwoman's powers is dunking a basketball from 23ft away? This is truly a tour-de-force in how to make a bad sports scene.

2. The “Twilight” Baseball Scene

First off, they need to make a call to the bullpen. The pitcher is throwing straight up ducks to these other vampires. Second, it's pretty dang stupid that vampires hit the ball so loud they can only play in a thunderstorm? They can't tone it back a little so they can play all the time? Honestly, this whole sequence is ridiculous and the freaking blue tint of the camera just makes it worse. When did vampires become Willie Mays?

3. The "American History X" Basketball Scene

THERE IS NO WAY EDWARD NORTON IS REVERSE DUNKING A BASKETBALL! I am ignoring all the other terrible issues around the dramatic celebration of a group of neo-Nazis winning a game of whites vs. blacks basketball and am just going to repeat: THERE IS NO WAY EDWARD NORTON IS REVERSE DUNKING A BASKETBALL!

4. The "Teen Wolf” Win In The End Sequence

Things that happen in this montage: the director uses the same basket multiple times and expects us not to notice because it's from a different camera angle, the 300 pound center makes a no-look hook shot from the foul line, Michael J. Fox jumps on his free throws, the camera always jump cuts to balls going into the hoop instead of following the arc of the shot, Michael J. Fox scores to keep the game close then gives up a lay-up because he jumps into his teammates arms to celebrate instead of playing defense, an incredibly cheesy 80s song is blasted throughout, the best player on the opposing team is allowed to illegally stand under the basket to try and distract Michael J. Fox from hitting the winning free-throws. Actually, what am I talking about, this scene is incredible!

5. The Winning Touchdown In “Remember The Titans”

I know this one is controversial but hear me out. With 80 yards to go and the season on the line, the coach decides to put the quarterback, who has been injured all year, in at running back to run a reverse. This is the stupidest play call I have heard in my entire life. In real life, there is no way The Rev is playing and there is no way they aren't running four verticals. Play some madden Coach Boone!

The Now Or Never Scene In “High School Musical 3”

This could be higher on the list but it is a Disney Musical. However, I still have many questions. How the heck do the Wildcats have a home game for the championship and not a neutral location? Why does the entire student section hold up signs so that Gabriella can sing to Troy right before his free throws? Also, why do all the lights in the gym go out for this moment? If I am the other team, I am pissed. Most importantly, if Troy is really the best player, there is no way he isn't shooting the ball at the end and there is definitely no way he is bringing the worst player off the bench to take the shot. The coach should be fired for allowing this nonsense.

7. The Eyeball Scene in “Any Given Sunday”

How in his right mind did Oliver Stone think this was a good idea? If you want to make a hard-hitting drama about football, deal with concussions, not something as absurd as a player losing an eyeball on the field. The sequence is incredibly topped off with the announcer nonchalantly saying, "It appears he did some damage to his eye," right after they scooped up the eyeball and put it in a bag.

8. Amanda Bynes playing soccer at the end of “She's The Man”

I'm not going to lie, that goal was pretty dope. My main issue is the scene right before this where Amanda Bynes plays a soccer game with her hair down. How does she see anything? Put in a ponytail, girl! This is almost as ridiculous as Edward Norton dunking. Almost.

9. The Touchdown in “The Dark Knight Rises”

I am sorry, there is no way that Hines Ward doesn't notice the entire field exploding around him! He would immediately hear what's happening, stop, and then die in the rubble with the rest of his teammates. It's a shame this is the last touchdown he ever scored for the Steelers.

10. The Winning Touchdown in “Varsity Blues”

This is along the lines of "Remember The Titans," but gets more of a pass due to the campier nature of the film and the fact that Paul Walker took over as the coach, RIP. Still, with the season on the line, I am not running a lateral to my overweight lineman who has had 100 concussions in the film. The fact that the same lineman drags three defenders into the end-zone to win the game tops it all off. This is a few too many steps beyond unbelievable.

11. The Basketball Scene in “The Amazing Spider-Man”

We end this list in a similar way to how it started, superheroes playing basketball. Peter Parker does an amazing job in this scene of blatantly showing off his powers. His grip on the ball, outrageous bunnies, and shattering of the backboard definitely would have led me to some questions about if he was this mysterious Spider-Man that's been showing up places. Also, LeBron couldn't get away with Andrew Garfield's nine-step travel.