10 Reasons I'm Fed Up With Superhero Movies

When everyone's super, no one will be.

1526
Slash Film

I love superheroes. I do. I love them just as much, may even a tad more, than the high percentage of people watching superhero movies in today's day and age. But even I can attest to the fact that perhaps that there are just a tad too many superhero movies. Between 2008 and 2019, Marvel alone will have released 23 superhero movies. Marvel alone. And sometimes it just feels like the movies are being grabbed and chucked out to the public with little regard for their worth or sentimental value. So in the midst of the craze surrounding these heroes, there are just a few, or ten reasons that I'm getting kind of tired of the hype.

1. "Batman v. Superman"

Admittedly, my fangirl expectations were just a little too high coming into this movie. I was raised on the old Superman movies. I was raised on the old Batman movies. I was pumped. But between the overly excessive action scenes and the confusing plot, I just couldn't really connect to the heroes, the two Martha's or anything else that they were fighting for.

2. Sometimes the characters can tend to repeat.

Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers? Ant Man and Iron Man? The story of a scientific experiment gone awry? The story of a rich guy with lots of cool gadgets? These stories kind of repeat. Don't get me wrong, they're cool stories. They can just tend to get a little old.

3. Truthfully, I don't know who half these people are.

The Black Panther? The Scarlet Witch? I would probably know a little more about these characters if I read the comic books or watched the movies, but sometimes it really just feels like Marvel is picking out random characters and tossing them into whatever movie they like.

4. "You haven't read the comics?" No, I haven't read the comics.

I like superheroes, sure. But no, I don't read the comics.

5. If I have to see the Wayne's and Uncle Ben die one more time...

It was touching the first time. But by now, these scenes have practically been imprinted into my memory. You know there is something wrong when you are in no way emotionally affected by a child watching his parents being gunned down in an alley in the latest Batman movie.

6. I don't have the time (or money) to watch every single movie.

I have to admit that the Marvel universe is pretty awesome and intricate. But it can also get extremely confusing if you miss a movie. Extremely. And let's face it, there's lots of movies. And movie tickets can get pretty pricey.

7. Merchandise. Merchandise. Merchandise.

The superheroes can't help that they come with their trademark costumes, phrases or weapons of choice. But it kinda hurts seeing just how many factors of the movies end up on the shelves. Captain America's shield? Superman's "S"? The Joker's witty quotes that could easily make for a great t-shirt? Merchandise. Merchandise. Merchandise.

8. Overly dramatic quotes make me cringe.

Dramatic quotes are pretty important to superhero movies. They are practically an essential factor. "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain," says Harvey Dent. "I'm sorry, Tony. You know I wouldn't do this if I had any other choice. But he's my friend," says Steve Rogers. "So was I," says Tony Stark. But just like any factor in a superhero film, there is such a thing as too much. A prime example? "Batman v. Superman." "Maybe it's the Gotham city in me. We just have a bad history with freaks dressed like clowns."

9. Come on. The women deserve at least a little more screen time.

Still waiting on that Black Widow movie. And Wonder Woman was definitely an unsung star of "Batman v. Superman. "

10. They've lost what makes them super.

They are becoming more real. That's kind of nice. It is better to have a superhero that people can relate to than an almighty superhero that can do no wrong and has no weaknesses. But there's just so many heroes. Just like Syndrome said in "The Incredibles," "When everyone's super, noone will be."