I Worship The Ground My Mom Walks On

I Worship The Ground My Mom Walks On

Miss you more than that.

143
I Worship The Ground My Mom Walks On
Samantha Barreras

I’m a 21 year old grown(ish) woman who’s living her dream almost 9,000 miles from home, and I’m not afraid to admit that I miss my mommy. Big time. Most of us are familiar with the Rory and Lorelei mother daughter dynamic. My mom and I are pretty much just as close as everyone’s favorite Gilmore Girls.

I don’t mean to brag, but my mom is pretty much the best. She’s always made sure my life has been the coolest and full of happiness. She’s never questioned anything when it comes to making sure her girl is living the life she thinks she deserves. All moms are superheroes that make crazy sacrifices for their kids, and I’m so grateful that the superhero I got is named Eileen. All I have to do is tell her I miss her and she straps on her super-mom cape and attends to all necessary mama bear duties. Mama bear duties include: making me laugh-especially when I’m feeling the blues, and telling me about all the things I’m not missing out on such as cooling temperatures and mundane trips to the grocery store. She’s also always there to remind me that she loves me and can’t wait to see me in x amount of days. To make sure I’m never too lonely she’ll send me videos of herself in the car jamming to songs that remind her of me.

When I’m not across the pond she’s the friend I always have to hang out with. On days I miss my mom most, all I want to do is grab some coffee and catch up on the day-to-day things we’ve missed out on, or sit down in front of a crappy lifetime movie with junk food and predict the ending. My mom is my sounding board and the only person that understands me as deeply as I (think) I understand myself. In all honesty, she probably knows me better than I know myself. Since day one she’s proudly announced that I’m her “mini me”, and that has always felt like a compliment. As I get older I understand more and more why I’ve always been my mom’s “mini me.” When it comes to mannerisms, personality, and even preferences we are one in the same. We may differ here and there, but that’s only to ensure that she didn’t go all biblical on everybody and birth me from her rib.

My mom isn’t only loved deeply by me. My mom is loved deeply by many. She’s spent her life cultivating life long friendships and making sure that she is kind to even the cruelest of strangers. Her key to success is making everyone laugh and helping anyone whenever they’re in need. I acquired a lot of great qualities from this woman I'm proud to call mom, and I’m proud to be her daughter. Everything I do and everything I aspire to do is credited to her. Without the incredible woman who decided to drop everything in her life to raise me, I would not even be a quarter of the person I am today.

I’m not afraid to admit that I miss my mom, because anyone who knows us also knows that we’ve been attached at the hip since ’95. This is the second time I’ve spent time across the world long term, and while she raised me to be independent, she’s totally coming with me next time. I’m so grateful for everything she’s done and everything she’ll continue to do for me. She is my everything. She is my peace of mind in this crazy world.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I can’t wait to hug you in just about 30 days.