How To Worry Less About The Future
Mental Health

Hey Fellow Worrier Of The Future, It's All Going To Be OK

It will all work out, I promise.

23
Person planning
Pexels.com

If you're literally anything like me, you worry about the future way too much. Like really. I worry more about the future than I do about the present. It's kind of a problem. Some people stay awake at night thinking about cringy things they did in the past. But no. I stay awake at night worrying about what is to come in the future. What is going to change when I move off campus next year? Will all my friends stay my friends? Will living with my best friend hinder our friendship? Will I even get into a physical therapy school? What if something awful happens at work tomorrow? Yep, all of these things keep me up at night (but don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of cringy moments that keep me up, too).

So if you are anything like me, the future is what causes most of your anxieties. The future is scary, so I honestly don't blame us. Who knows what is to come. But lately, I have been working extra hard on focusing on the present. So I am here to tell all of you who are fellow worriers like me to let go and know that it's going to work out.

Recently, I was talking to my brother at four in the morning (where all of the good conversations happen) on a drive to the airport. He told me that I worry too much about the future and that is why I'm not happy. He said that he takes things day by day and lets things slide, and this is why he is so happy. I really pondered this the entire way home after dropping him off for his Guatemalan adventure. I hated to admit it to myself, but he had a point. I need to start taking things day by day. Chances are, spending days worrying about something that is months away won't help you at all. Everything happens (and can be fixed) in its due time. Taking things day by day helps to minimize my own anxiety and make it manageable.

I will never forget the metaphor that a doctor once told me. She recommended that I take a bite of something that is bothering or worrying and put it in a box. And that is all that I can worry about for that given day. In addition, if at all possible, she said that the bite that I take for the day should be something that is happening in the next day or two. Not something that is happening in a few weeks or a few months. This makes it all much more manageable and less daunting! If you find yourself worrying about what is coming up in the near future, I highly recommend this box method!

But, above all, we have to remember that everything will work out in the long run. I know this is something that I'm so bad at telling myself. I get caught up in the minute details of life and forget the big picture. Things may seem overwhelming right now, but just remember that it is going to work out. As cliche as it may sound, everything happens for a reason. This is a lesson that I have learned time and time again this summer. So, if you're like me and worry about the future way too much, just take a breath. Remember the present, and take things day by day. You will survive this, too, just as you have survived so much. I believe in you, fellow worrier! We got this!