World Leaders Fail To Condemn Tyrannical Dictator Fidel Castro

Castro's death brings mixed bag of reaction from world leaders.

66
Imgur

As news of the death of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro quickly spread early Saturday morning, current and former world leaders issued statements that either praised the life of the so-called ‘champion of social justice’ or praised the death of a ‘tyrant’.

Canada’s socialist social-justice superstar Prime Minister Justin Trudeau may have topped all of the insanely ignorant responses, expressing his “sorrow” for Castro’s death, calling him a “larger than life leader” with “tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for ‘el Comandante.’” With Trudeau not providing any quotes from any of the hundreds of thousands of Cuban exiles regarding their ‘deep and lasting affection’ to Castro, he continued digging his hole, calling it a “real honour” to meet Castro and his in-power brother Raul, and closing out the double-take worthy-statement calling Castro a “remarkable leader.”

Yup.

Not to be upstaged, however, washed up leader of the British Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, praised the murderous dictator as a “massive figure in the history of the whole planet,”claiming that “History will show that (Fidel) was somebody who stood up for something very, very different in the Caribbean.”

Different, indeed.

Leader of the free world President Barack Obama issued an anodyne statement, giving a nondescript analysis of the dictators unelected, long reign of terror, saying “this moment fills Cubans – in Cuba and in the United States – with powerful emotions, recalling the countless ways in which Fidel Castro altered the course of individual lives, families, and of the Cuban nation.” What kind of emotions, like the ones of thousands of Cubans in Miami who joyously celebrated the death of the monster who constructed the separation of their families, President Obama did not provide. But yet again, Obama's statement shows the political appeasement to yet another evil regime that we have become so accustomed to seeing from him.

Some of the other nonsensical and morally corrupt responses include U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon’s statement in which Moon called Castro a “strong voice for social justice,” and socialist President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro's response that called for “all the revolutionaries of the world to continue (Castro’s) legacy and his flag of independence, of socialism, of homeland.” Former United States President Jimmy Carter also threw his two cents in the Castro loony bin, claiming to “remember fondly … his love of his country.”

All of these statements are morally and politically alarming.

The praising of a ruthless, tyrannical, murderous dictator and the revisionist history by these world leaders is insane and embarrassing, and the defense of Castro solely on the basis of Cuba’s supposed literacy rate or Castro’s alliance with Nelson Mandela is a grotesque example of moral relativism.

If a leader's worth is based on their country's literacy rate, not to mention that the literacy rates are concocted by the same totalitarian government which has imprisoned, executed, and destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands, then the US has much to learn from North Korea, whose government reports a 100% literacy rate - clearly a country to take notes from!

Of all the responses to Castro’s death, the most appropriate response may have came from an unlikely source of wisdom, President-Elect Donald Trump, whose blunt but fitting tweet of “Fidel Castro is dead!” was only upstaged by his even more fitting statement in which Trump refers to Castro as a “brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades.” Trump appropriately called Castro’s reign of the “totalitarian island” as “one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights.” Whether or not President-Elect Trump can keep up this moral consistency when it comes to another tyrannical regime remains to be seen, but Trump's offering that his "administration will do all it can to ensure the Cuban people can finally begin their journey toward prosperity and liberty" would be a step in the right direction - alongside some other prominent Republican figures. Vice President-elect Mike Pence gave another fitting response on Twitter, tweeting “The tyrant #Castro is dead. New hope dawns. We will stand with the oppressed Cuban people for a free and democratic Cuba. Viva Cuba Libre!”

Senators Marco Rubio (FL) and Ted Cruz (TX), both products of Cuban immigrants, slammed Obama and Trudeau’s statements, with Rubio calling Obama’s statement a “pathetic statement on death of dictator #FidelCastro with no mention of thousands he killed & imprisoned” and Cruz piggybacking saying, “'Marco's right. Why does Obama persist in showering love on our enemies? Castro was not leftist chic; he was a murderer and a thug.” Both then slammed Trudeau’s revisionist statements with Rubio replying “Is this a real statement or a parody? Because if this is a real statement from the PM of Canada it is shameful & embarrassing.” and Cruz also tweeting “Disgraceful. Why do young socialists idolize totalitarian tyrants? Castro, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot -- all evil, torturing murderers.”

Senator Tom Cotton (AK) may have put it best, saying “Fidel Castro created hell on earth for the Cuban people. He will now become intimately familiar with what he wrought.”

And hell on earth he did create. While the list goes on with other tyrannical thugs and so-called 'leaders' such as Iran's Hassan Rouhani, Palestinian Authority's Mahmoud Abbas, and Russia's Vladamir Putin, and leftist race-baiters like Jesse Jackson and Shaun King trying to revise history and make Castro ‘not that bad of a guy’, the proof is in the pudding, as Human Rights Watch notes:

“The denial of fundamental freedoms throughout Castro’s decades in power was unrelenting, and marked by periods of heightened repression, such as the 2003 crackdown on 75 human rights defenders, journalists, trade unionists, and other critics of the government. Accused of being “mercenaries” of the United States government, the individuals were summarily tried in closed hearings. Many served years in inhumane prisons, where they were subjected to extended solitary confinement and beatings, and denied basic medical care for serious ailments. More than 50 of the remaining prisoners were released after Fidel Castro handed over power to his brother, most on the condition that they accept exile to Spain.

Under Fidel Castro, the Cuban government refused to recognize the legitimacy of Cuban human rights organizations, alternative political parties, independent labor unions, or a free press. He also denied international monitors such as the International Committee of the Red Cross and international nongovernmental organizations like Human Rights Watch access to the island to investigate human rights conditions.

(...)

Nevertheless, the Orwellian laws that allowed their (political prisoners) imprisonment – and the imprisonment of thousands before them – remain on the books, and the Cuban government continues to repress individuals and groups who criticize the government or call for basic human rights. Arbitrary arrests and short-term detention routinely prevent human rights defenders, independent journalists, and others from gathering or moving freely. Detention is often used preemptively to prevent people from participating in peaceful marches or political meetings.”

And that is still putting it lightly. On Castro’s political firing squads, from BabaluBlog:

“Fidel Castro is often portrayed as the “benevolent” dictator of Cuba, such portrayals are unarguably wrong. The evidence of his bloodthirsty and murderous nature is unequivocal and available for anyone who wants to know the truth. Unfortunately such evidence is rarely discussed by the news media and at schools. There’s perhaps no more grizzly atrocity committed by Fidel Castro than the firing squads which he implemented. Beginning as a rebel, before he would eventually take power in Cuba, Fidel Castro used firing squad executions to enforce discipline, punish followers deemed disloyal or intimidate potential opposition. At the beginning of the Castro regime there was a reign of terror typical of revolutions in which the firing squad was used prominently but the executions continued for decades.

The Cuba Archive which documents deaths and disappearances resulting from Fidel Castro’s Cuban revolution has documented 3,615 firing squad executions conducted by the Cuban state since Castro took over on January 1, 1959.”

From forming gay labor camps, to the repression of religion and movement amongst the Cuban population, to the separation of families and political imprisonment of those who dared indulge in free speech, Castro was one of the worst the world has ever had to offer, and while Cuba ironically began their state-sponsored ‘nine days of mourning’ for Castro, the wave of psychological burden lifted from those affected by the death of the tyrant spreads wide, as thousands paraded throughout the early and late hours this past weekend in Miami, a place many Cubans found themselves after fleeing the island just 90 miles away.

The response from the many world leaders and political figures on Castro’s death should provide a benchmark from with which to judge these leaders' moral compasses. While policy change is not expected immediately due to Fidel’s also-awful brother Raul remaining in power, the death of a monster provides hope for the day that the Cuban people may be liberated from the deathly grips of communism and experience the freedom they deserve.

Ding, dong, the witch is dead.